DIY Simple Cutoff Switch?

flemtone

• Members

Climb Aboard, Explorers!

I'm currently running an Acoustic Showcase/OpenMic (shudder) Night at a local club. I'm looking to build a couple of simple cut-off switches for quarter-inch plugs with an LED to indicate that the connection is cut.

Currently I'm using my Boss TU-2 tuner as the cutoff for the individual players, but I'm finding more and more multiple-instrument acts are signing up. I'd like to have the ability for them (or me) to cut off their instruments from on-stage without my having to dash back to the PA (behind the bar) to drop their instruments before they unplug (and shoot speaker magnets out the back of the mains).

Anyone have a simple (or not so simple - I built a TV from a HeathKit about 35 years ago, before Cruel Eld had robbed me of my youthful 20/20... :D) design for this application?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks, gang.

-Tim from Jersey

• Members

I don't know how much you know about electronics, but a simple DPDT switch with the centers hooked to ground and then one side hooked to the positive 1/4" jack terminal and the other hooked to one end of the LED (the other side of the LED hooked to a resistor and 9v battery), would work and be the simplest you could make.

• Members

Originally posted by 60hurts

I don't know how much you know about electronics...

Not much, actually. I could build that Heathkit because it had extremely detailed instruction, pictures, schematics, and everything labelled as though a cretin was building it (and one was). I was able to stop my drooling and spasms enough to get it to work, though.

I'll do some searching on the Radio Shack site to see if I can find the parts you're talking about. Maybe it'll click for me...

Thanks

-T from J

• Members

I have a schematic in my head, but i'll have to see if i can draw it.

I have a feeling that someone will beat me to it though.

The other thing you'll want to do is have a pretty good sized resistor in the circuit going from + to -, say 1meg or so. This will prevent the *POP* when you flip the switch.

• Members

I don't know if this will work, but try opening the attached file in Notepad and use the Courier font to see a schematic.

What I meant was, I don't know if opening the file will show the schematic correctly...I'm pretty sure the circuit will work. As phaeton suggested, if you get a pop, put a large value resistor between ground and the positive terminals of the jacks.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

ProCo makes a cable that mutes itself when unplugged - the Silent Knight, I think.

Yes, I've seen shorting plugs you can get to make your own cables , too.

It's been awhile and I can't remember where.

Of course, having a switch would be a good way to get somebody off the stage!

:D

• Members

Of course, having a switch would be a good way to get somebody off the stage!

Well, there is that, too... :D

Thanks a bunch, all! Any ideas about what I could use as a durable box to house this in, and/or any place that I could purchase a footswitch-type DPDT switch? I checked Allparts.com, but they pretty much have all toggle switches, and I don't know how long they'd last with some of the performers onstage :rolleyes:.

Thanks again!

• Members

Originally posted by flemtone

Well, there is that, too...

Thanks a bunch, all! Any ideas about what I could use as a durable box to house this in, and/or any place that I could purchase a footswitch-type DPDT switch? I checked Allparts.com, but they pretty much have all toggle switches, and I don't know how long they'd last with some of the performers onstage
:rolleyes:

Thanks again!

MCM has a pretty good footswitch. PN# AR70736.

Any small metal box would work....how much do you weigh? ;)

• Members

The shorting plug is a sure fire solution, and requires no thought on anyones part, especially the musician. they unplug, the cable shorts and no pops, period. With a switcher, someone needs to switch it, be that you or the musician, and certainly sometimes that's not going to happen in time.

Another solution for speaker protection is a good hard limiter before the amps.

• Members

I have had problems with shorting plugs in the past. Perhaps they were the cheap kind, but after a while they started shorting out while plugged in! People unplugging them and stepping on them night after night doesn't help.

I like the idea of not having to think about it though.

Archived