What Mods to do for a MIM Tele

Rushmore

• Members

Agreed. Get a compensated barrel bridge like the above and you'll have both traditional twang tone saddles and tuning taken care of.

If you're thinking of a "workhorse", I'd go for a slightly hotter than average bridge pickup, like a Fender Nocaster(what I've got now) or DiMarzio Virtual Vintage. It depends on what your needs are. An SD Phat Cat in the neck of ours brought out huge amounts of oomph and upper-end clarity retention, the best uprgrade for the neck p'up IMHO. Remember, many MIM Teles already have the neck p'up routed for a humbucker. Fo that matter, I've noticed that not a lot of people dig stock MIM Tele neck p'ups.

fa0e04fc.jpg

I'd recommend against an SD Li'l '59 like we had, as it only sounds awesome when left untapped as an LP chaser, with very litle twang to be found...pole pieces are nearly impossible to match to get a decent split-coil sound.

• Members

This is my '94 MIM Standard. I put a '52 RI bridge plate with brass saddles on it. Off it is hanging a Duncan Broadcaster. The neck pickup is a Duncan SSL-1 mounted on a matte finish Warmoth pickguard.

sunny.jpg

Interesting pick-guard choice. I thought it wierd at first but it grows on you. Good stuff:thu:

• Members

Agreed. Get a compensated barrel bridge like the above and you'll have both traditional twang tone saddles
and
tuning taken care of.

If you're thinking of a "workhorse", I'd go for a slightly hotter than average bridge pickup, like a Fender Nocaster(what I've got now) or DiMarzio Virtual Vintage. It depends on what your needs are. An SD Phat Cat in the neck of ours brought out huge amounts of
oomph
and
upper-end clarity retention, the best uprgrade for the neck p'up IMHO. Remember, many MIM Teles already have the neck p'up routed for a humbucker. Fo that matter, I've noticed that not a lot of people dig stock MIM Tele neck p'ups.

fa0e04fc.jpg
I'd recommend against an SD Li'l '59 like we had, as it only sounds awesome when left untapped as an LP chaser, with very litle twang to be found...pole pieces are nearly impossible to match to get a decent split-coil sound.

Cool:cool:

• Members

Just got one of these on a trade. I want to mod it a bit and make it a workhorse. I'm thinking bridge and pickups maybe. Anyone taken a mexi-tele and made it into a badmofo through some simple mods? What do you suggest?

I did mine up on the cheap and love it...

GFS pickups $30

Wilky compensated bridge $24

Switchcraft jack $2

...done

• Members

Bridge and pups, all you need.

+1

I installed a Bigsby kit and changed the pups to a vintage noiseless in the bridge and a USA Standard Tele Alnico in the neck. The tuners are fine. The pots and switch are fine as well. My only other plan is to repaint it.:thu:

bigsbytele19.jpg

Archived