Fender Highway One Tele or Fender Baja Tele?

h2oman

• Members

Trying to decide on which Tele to get. I have had two MIM Tele's. Both were somewhat decent but want to upgrade. The new Baja Tele looks really nice as does the upgraded Highway One. Any experience with either of these or reviews would be helpful. Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by h2oman

Trying to decide on which Tele to get. I have had two MIM Tele's. Both were somewhat decent but want to upgrade. The new Baja Tele looks really nice as does the upgraded Highway One. Any experience with either of these or reviews would be helpful. Thanks

I think the series of instruments that the Baja tele comes from is FANTASTIC. I just picked up a Classic player 50s strat over an American strat.

They have the right feel, vibe, sound. they really do seem top notch

• Members

The Baja Telecasters are pretty, but I have a red Highway 1. I checked the specs and see the neck radius is the same. There is an out of phase switching on the Baja. Don't know what you can do with that. The fingerboard on the Baja is only available in maple. Although many people buy a Tele for the maple fingerboard, I intentionally bought a Highway 1 with a rose wood fingerboard. I liked the rose wood on my acoustic very much and did some reading that influenced my decision. Some people say the finish on the Highway 1 wears easily. Mine still looks brand new after a year of ownership and, if it does wear, I think it will look good. I enjoy my Highway 1 very much.

Depending on where you buy them, the two guitars can be had for about $800 each. So price is not a deciding factor. They should feel and play pretty much the same. It really is going to come down to the differences in sound due to the pickups and wiring. I knew I wanted a Fender that was simple, American made, and provided the classic Tele sound. You'll get two of the three with the Baja, but you have to decide if you want the additional switching. (Baja is made in Mexico.)

Don't forget. Set-up makes a big difference with these guitars. I have a good guitar tech that worked with me to set things up exactly the way I wanted. After that, I really began to enjoy my Tele.

• Members

Originally posted by kaystayflaar

I think the series of instruments that the Baja tele comes from is FANTASTIC. I just picked up a Classic player 50s strat over an American strat.

They have the right feel, vibe, sound. they really do seem top notch

How does the sound of the classic players 50's strat compare to say the standard or american standard.

• Members

I bought a baja but returned it. The QC on it was horrible. Bad frets. Huge , neck pocket gap.....and the pickup selector switch would sometimes not work....

I returned it the day after I received it.

However it has great pickups on it ( Custom shop tele in the bridge and twisted tele in the neck ).....but as mentioned the rest of the guitar was badly put together.

In fact I liked the pickups so much I bough the custom shop model they came from - The Custom Classic Tele and I couldn't be happier.

If your on a budget I would go with the Highway one. I try those all the time at GC and I think they're very nice for the money - much better than the Baja ( although maybe I got a bad one )

Andy

• Members

Originally posted by edge007

How does the sound of the classic players 50's strat compare to say the standard or american standard.

Sound wise, it is much more of a warm, vintage type tone. It has really "strat like" pickups.... Nice bite and quack but still smooth.

The feel is what really sold me. It feels great in my hands... and i like the 2 point trem, the locking tuners, and the second tone control is wired to the bridge pickup. (even though the fender website states otherwise...)

I have described it as a "poor man's erci johnson strat". I immensely prefer it to the american strat.

• Members

Originally posted by kaystayflaar

Sound wise, it is much more of a warm, vintage type tone. It has really "strat like" pickups.... Nice bite and quack but still smooth.

The feel is what really sold me. It feels great in my hands... and i like the 2 point trem, the locking tuners, and the second tone control is wired to the bridge pickup. (even though the fender website states otherwise...)

I have described it as a "poor man's erci johnson strat". I immensely prefer it to the american strat.

Thanks, any chance of some pics?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've played the Baja in my local GC twice now. Impressed both times. I love the V neck. Feels great to wrap your hand around. QC seemed good on the one I played (frets, neck pocket, etc. all great for MIM.) I prefer the Baja to the older HW1 Teles, but I haven't tried the "new" HW1. . . The neck on the HW1 is a way more modern feeling neck - stuck out to me as maybe the best thing about the Baja.

Of course you ought to try to play both and decide for yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I checked the specs and see the neck radius is the same... They should feel and play pretty much the same. It really is going to come down to the differences in sound due to the pickups and wiring.

mmm... the fretboard radius may be the same, but the neck on the Baja is notably chunkier. A major point for the Baja imho.

• Members

I tried out a Baja Tele and I liked it. The fit and finish was really nice (no gap in the neck pocket), and the neck was nice and chunky. The S-1 switch gives some nice options with the tones, so that's a big bonus to the Baja. The Custom Shop pickups are another reason to go with the Baja as well; the H-1 pickups aren't bad but I'd probably swap them out first chance I got. I'd say, try a bunch of H-1's and Bajas out and go with the one that works for you.

Archived