Best way to recharge your batteries: Jazz Festival!

Mr. Botch

• Members

The Sweetie and I went to the Park City Jazz Festival this Saturday, what a great relaxer! It was held at the Deer Valley Ski Resort; they've built a beautiful ampitheatre up there facing the ski slopes, and the audience sits in the built-in bowl shape. Utah has its faults but the scenery at this locale can't be topped, I don't think. They even divided the crowd in two, people sitting on blankets on one side, with folding chairs on the other, so no one's view was blocked.

Another great thing about Park City is they don't buckle under to the demands of "the church" here in Utah. You could bring anything you wanted to drink, plus they were selling wine and beer in concessions, with no ID checks, special wristbands or "beer gardens" (roped-off areas where you had to drink, to "protect the families" :rolleyes: ). This all sounds quite ordinary in the rest of the US and the world, its kinda rare in Utah (I call Park City "a little bit of the US in Utah!" ;) ). The Sweetie had packed iced champagne, fried chicken, grapes, two kinds of cheeses and artisan bread.

Kenny Garrett was first off on sax, he's played with Miles, Sting, and Peter Gabriel; both he and his band were smokin'! I'll have to find some of his CDs. Sam Cardon was up next, a Smoove Jazz pianist originally from Utah, had a three-piece horn section, very nice!

George Benson was the headliner, I've never seen him live before. He's taken a class or two from the "Celine Dion/Michael Bolton School of Vocal Acrobatics", but his guitar playing was tasty, tasty, tasty! Killer band, including Donnie Hathaway's daughter on percussion and killer vocals. Coulda done without his "special guest", the other Utah native, Donny Osmond, but he only sang one song so that wasn't too bad.

We got the package deal and stayed in a rustic lodge after the show, jetted hot tub, balcony overlooking the mountains, sweet! This'll be a yearly event from now on for us, I'm sure.

• Members

Sounds excellent. Been a couple of years since I was over that way but loved the area.

Personally, I'm waiting on JazzOnTheGreen.com this Oct.15th in Ft.Meyers FL. They've got pianist Brian Culbertson, guitarist Craig Chaquico, saxman Michael Lington and SlimMan with BonaFide scheduled.

Gonna be a good one.

• Members

You guys sure are lucky!

The Labor Day weekend Detroit Jazz festival only offers:

(2005 Artist List)

Ada Rovatti

Alberta Adams with R.J.'s Rhythm Rockers

Barbara Ware Quartet/Quintet

Bettye LaVette

Bill O'Connell Quartet

Bon Temps Roulle

Bop Culture

Brothers Groove

Carl Cafagna & North Star Jazz

Charles McPherson Quartet

Coupe and Her Groovemobile

David 'Fathead' Newman - Tribute to Ray Charles

Don Swindell Quintet

Donald Walden & the Detroit Jazz Orchestra

Dr. John and The Lower 911

Gerald Wilson Big Band

Gerard Gibbs & Re-ORGAN'yz

Geri Allen with Mary Stallings

Ilona Knopfler

James Tatum Trio Plus

James Wendell Robinson Quintet

Janet Tenaj Sextet

Jean 'Toots' Thielemans & KOA

Jeremy Kittel Quintet

Joan Crawford Sextet

Joey DeFrancesco Trio - Tribute to Jimmy Smith

John Sinclair and The Blues Scholars

Johnnie Bassett

Long Tall Marcia Ball

Louis Smith

Motor City R & B Pioneers

Nancy Davis w/spg Sautee

Nathaniel Mayer

NOD

Odessa Harris Big Band

Oscar Castro-Neves

Randy Brecker/Bill Evans Soulbop Band

Randy Weston's African Rhythms Trio

Rapa House Too

Renaissance HS Jazz Ensemble

Roderick Harper

Ron Blake Band

Scholastic

Sean Jones

Sir Mack Rice

Steelheads

T.S. Monk

Tad Weed Trio

The Blind Boys of Alabama

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

The Funk Brothers

The McCoy Tyner Trio

The Regal Brass Band of New Orleans

The Soul Survivors

The Strange

Thornetta Davis

Tom Allport Big Band

Tribute to Larry Nozero

Tumbao

Urban Transport

Zawinul Syndicate

Last, but not least: Medeski Martin & Wood

:)

Detroit Jazz Festival

• Members

There's one here in Cleveland that lasts over a week in April. It's called the Tri C jazz fest after Cuyahoga Community College.

Someone from our area went up to Detroit to jump start the jazz fest there as it was touch and go in spring as to whether they'd have afestival this year. they got backing from a Detroit production company and togethre saved the fest.

I just missed the first ever Trotwood jazz fest in Dayton two weeks ago. Didn't find out until it was too late. And we were only an hour north of there all weekend.

A jazz fest in the Rockies sounds awesome.

Archived