Putting a wah inductor on a guitar's tone control???

RJpilot

• Members

This is an idea I came to after thinking about the fulltone Gt pedal...Could you use a wah inductor for a guitar's tone knob and have a push/pull knob to select it on and off?

You could have that cocked wah sound without a wah.

Just curious..:idea:

• Members

I suppose anything is possible. It's just about having the room for all the extras that go with that wah pot. Like the buisness card size circuit board and the 9v battery (unless you figure out a phantom power supply).

Don't you think it's better to use your foot than your fingers? To control the wah's tonal point where you want to leave it.

• Members

You would need the combination of an inductor and a capacitor - that's what sets the resonant peak of the wah.

But more importantly you would need some sort of onboard signal boost pre-wah and post/recovery otherwise you probably would not like the effect. Wahs are very lossy and without the signal amplification all you would do is kill your guitar's output.

None of that makes it impossible though. If you have enough room in the cavity for the inductor and a battery the rest is going to be small by comparison.

• Members

im in a wheelchair and ive wondered the same thing since i cant use my feet. for regular stompboxes i just use my hands to switch everything. but obviously i cant use a wah. i emailed mike (analogman) and all he suggested was to use another type of pedal from z. vex. needless to say that didnt help. so id also like to know as well if putting a wah pot in a tone control spot would be possible. would it still have the same effect? im building u usacg strat so ill make all the necessary routes beforehand. P.S. sorry if it seems like im stealing this thread. im not at all. just very curious!!

• Members

im in a wheelchair and ive wondered the same thing since i cant use my feet. for regular stompboxes i just use my hands to switch everything. but obviously i cant use a wah. i emailed mike (analogman) and all he suggested was to use another type of pedal from z. vex. needless to say that didnt help. so id also like to know as well if putting a wah pot in a tone control spot would be possible. would it still have the same effect? im building u usacg strat so ill make all the necessary routes beforehand. P.S. sorry if it seems like im stealing this thread. im not at all. just very curious!!

its absolutely possible just look up the schematic of the 90's Joe Perry Les Paul. also, there are a bunch of effects from GuitarFetish called ModBoards that are meant to be installed directly into a guitar.

• Members

its absolutely possible just look up the schematic of the 90's Joe Perry Les Paul. also, there are a bunch of effects from GuitarFetish called ModBoards that are meant to be installed directly into a guitar.

i looked at their site, guitarfetish, and the only modboards they offered were for a compressor, overdrive, leslie, and chorus. none for a wah application.

• Members
i looked at their site, guitarfetish, and the only modboards they offered were for a compressor, overdrive, leslie, and chorus. none for a wah application.

I've never seen it done before but I'm sure a wah could be fitted into a guitar. Some wood may have to be removed from inside the guitar. Then the wah's components could then be put inside the guitar. The wah could then be controlled by a whammy bar type of device. It would probably work best on a non-tremolo guitar.

• Members

I took the guts out of a wah-wah over twenty years ago and put them into a stainless steel box with just a control knob and an on/off switch, just to use it as a tone filter but I still had a normal wah-wah as well. I much later found out that Michael Schenker did exactly the same thing.

• Members

Way back in 1960something, Vox was very experimental with onboard effects. A friend of mine had a Vox guitar with a wah built into the tailpiece. You used the heel of your hand to operate it and it featured a spring loaded return. It was really easy to operate. :thu:

• Members

This is an idea I came to after thinking about the fulltone Gt pedal...Could you use a wah inductor for a guitar's tone knob and have a push/pull knob to select it on and off?

You could have that cocked wah sound without a wah.

Just curious..
:idea:

Charvel Spectrums had exactly that! At least mine has it! Sounds great!

:thu: :thu:

• Members

it is possible, just look at Muse.

Matt Bellamy from Muse has a guitar made by Mansons in the UK with a Wah fitted with an odd controller for the wah on it. you run your finger along a strip fitted on the guitars surface i believe.

maybe you should check that out. worth havin' a look at! :thu:

it'd be cool to have a whammy bar fitted but not linked to the bridge, linked to a wah. :D:idea:

• Members

You should try and track down a MIke Matthews Soul Kiss - a wah thats activated by a light sensor placed in your mouth

matthews_soulkiss_001.jpg

http://filters.muziq.be/model/matthews/soulkiss

I have one of these, but lent it to someone who lost the light sensor and without it you can't use it at all and it seems a replacement is like rocking horse shit!

Archived