Buying a used les paul custom with bent bridge posts

fistacuffs

• Members

Rosse

thanks for the quick reply. I would adjust the bridge but the post it raises and lowers on is bent preventing that from happening. the guitar plays and sounds fine. I wanted to know if this was a symptom of some kind of neck problem.

I wanted a studio but this used custom shop is only a little bit more so it is making the studio look overpriced now.

• Members

I have no clue what the problem with that guitar is, seeing as I haven't seen it (and I'm not a repair tech either), but the Dan Erlewine book mentions that very bridge problem (based on your description) and says it's basically a string tension issue w/ an improperly set stop bar. Solution = new bridge (posts, anyway) and set the stop bar right.

FWIW, I love my Studio.

• Members

bent bridge posts are a pretty common problem with tune-o-matic setups. usually it is a result of having the tailpiece too low and the strings breaking over the saddles at too steep of an angle, usually resting on the back edge of the bridge.

as long as the bent posts haven't resulted in stretching out the mounting holes in the body it should be fine. you should be able to either bend the posts back (read up on how to do this if that is the case) or just drop in some new posts and you're set.

if, however, the bent posts have ended up stretching out the mounting holes in the body, it may be a costly fix and you might want to avoid it. check the holes to see if they are visibly stretched (small gap behind the post). or try loosening the strings to take tension off the bridge and see if the posts wiggle in the body.

• Members

This is a ABR Bridge your talking about right? That happens from players resting there hand on the bridge when playing, and string tension. Its not cheap to fix. The posts need to be replaced and the hole needs to be drilled out LARGER with a dolly fitted into it. Then that needs to be drilled and fitted with another post for the ABR. Then you have to match the finish which isn't bad cause its a Black Custom? Or is it the Tri-Burst 68?

• Members

This is a ARB Bridge your talking about right? That happens from players resting there hand on the bridge when playing, and string tension. Its not cheap to fix. The posts need to be replaced and the hole needs to be drilled out LARGER with a dolly fitted into it. Then that needs to be drilled and fitted with another post for the ABR. Then you have to match the finish which isn't bad cause its a Black Custom? Or is it the Tri-Burst 68?

You sure about this? The original brigde posts bend foward on my ES-335. Got a replacement bridge w posts - dropped right in?

• Members

That had a Nashville or Tune-O-matic? Right? That could be done with those. But with ABR's you can't do that. The post is threaded directly into the wood. You could probly try to unscrew and Glue another back in? I'm not positive which bridge the 68 Custom had? Thats why I say ABR to begin with?

• Members

thank you to everyone who replied

This is my first post, but I am a long time lurker.

I bought the guitar but i can return it for a refund if I am not happy. what is a fair price for this guitar in "played" condition. The ebony neck is the best I have ever seen!

Archived