Stoner/Desert Rock

Johnstinkpants

• Members

I play it. I'm using either my SG or Ibanez thinline (it's a hollowbody but it has a great rock sound) into my VHT Fifty/ST with no effects. You can play stoner with pretty much any kind of gear. Look at the bands you like and see what they used. I think Kyuss had an Ampeg v4 and used an Ovation UK2.

• Members

I have a side project/fun jam band kinda thing playing that stuff... from Kyuss to Crowbar and CoC type slow sabbathed out jams.

We do the odd gig once in a blue moon, and I use my Gibson SG gothic through a RAT pedal into a seventies Sound City 100 watt head and 4x12, and it slays!

Sound city amps are dirt cheap...best kept secret in amps IMO...all tube and handwired...I have seen 'em go for $300 on ebay...scruffy but they are bombproof.

• Members

Being a student I suffer from cheap gear syndrome

I hear a lot of the hugeness of stoner rock bands' guitar tones comes from cranked up amps. I own a valveking 212 and its really just too loud. I get told to turn it down when it's on 2 and a half (out of ten) and it sounds so much better when turned up

A guy on another forum suggested cranking it up then using and eq pedal to turn down the volume...would this work? I thought that's what attenuators were for?

[/noob]

• Members

Don't say that around curseoftruth! He'll call you a "{censored}ing moron" and then cut your {censored}ing head off.

If he can find me :p I've gotten some good stoner tones with a Strat through a Traynor amp before so I know it can be done. But then again I like the more rock side of stoner rock ... bands like Kyuss, Dozer, Fu Manchu, Atomic Bitchwax, Brant Bjork ... I'm not too sure about drone or sludge stuff.

• Members

I highly recommend a Big Muff distortion pedal. The black made in Russia one. It's cheap, cheap and under $100 bucks (well under on E-Bay). I love Kyuss and Fu Manchu and I can pretty much nail their sound with it. Just play it through a tube amp on the clean channel and let the fuzz fly!

• Members

I have a side project/fun jam band kinda thing playing that stuff... from Kyuss to Crowbar and CoC type slow sabbathed out jams.

We do the odd gig once in a blue moon, and I use my Gibson SG gothic through a RAT pedal into a seventies Sound City 100 watt head and 4x12, and it slays!

Sound city amps are dirt cheap...best kept secret in amps IMO...all tube and handwired...I have seen 'em go for $300 on ebay...scruffy but they are bombproof.

any clips of those amps?

• Members

Get a sub 50-watt tube amp that you like the sound of and run its line-out into a 100+watt bass amp. Use your neck pickup.

You'll have plenty of doom and grind without overbearing volume.

I ran a Mesa Subway Rocket (20 watts) into an Ampeg BA115 with a Strat and it sounded thick and beefy as all hell. I was using the middle and neck pickups of the strat in series.

Never underestimate the use of a bass amp in stoner rock applications.

• Members

you can play stoner rock with almost anything, the general norm though is stuff that's mahogany, 24.75 scale and humbuckers or p-90's. gibsons are the most common, hamers or prs's are great too.

they haven't been mentioned yet but i think my mesa f-30 can get pretty stoner rockish-sounding with my p-90 les paul its got that nice warm and slightly fuzzy but defined sound to it.

• Members

You really can use anything, I used a hamer into a seymour duncan pickup booster into a V4 for a while. Ended up getting rid of the V4 and now use a strat style guitar(humbucker in bridge/S.C. in the neck)into a bad monkey->seymour duncan pickup booster-> the clean channel of a Mesa stiletto duece. Clean channel set to fat clean, channel volume set at about 11 O'clock and the master cranked. Gives a nice distorted but clear tone and it sounds wide open without a huge amount of compression. Sounds bad ass to me.

Archived