009 or 010 strings best for shredding?

Santuzzo

• Members

i found thicker strings are easier for your picking hand for some reason. I can pick faster on the thick high strings but not thick low strings! I think the pick just rolls off easier. same with using a pick with a rounder tip. combine both and you got some serious alternate picking. and thinner strings makes it easier for the fretting hand. :snax:

but i use 9's on my "shred guitar" anyway. i use hybrids on my strat.

• Members

i found thicker strings are easier for your picking hand for some reason. I can pick faster on the thick high strings but not thick low strings! I think the pick just rolls off easier. same with using a pick with a rounder tip. combine both and you got some serious alternate picking. and thinner strings makes it easier for the fretting hand.
:snax:

but i use 9's on my "shred guitar" anyway. i use hybrids on my strat.

Cool ! Hybrids: is that a mixed set? Like light top heavy bottom or vice versa?

I coud imagine that working well for me, maybe just replacing the top 3 strings with thicker ones.

• Members

Cool ! Hybrids: is that a mixed set? Like light top heavy bottom or vice versa?

I coud imagine that working well for me, maybe just replacing the top 3 strings with thicker ones.

yeah the high strings are 10's but the bottom strings are 11's

give me a really dangerous bottom end. especially through my 100W 212 amp cranked!!!

• Members

I'm not really a shredder - although a metaller through & through - but either should do as long as you have the guitar set right.

My Floyded Jacksons use 9 - 42, fixies use 10 - 46, all tuned E - E, scale length varies between 24.75 and 25.5 (I've found that this doesn't make a huge amount of difference for me).

I recently changed my main guitar to a fixed bridge one and asked myself the same question. Without the trem I found that 9s were a tiny bit slack for me and the 10s behaved better. The Floyds work as good but with the lighter guage.

That's just me I suppose.

• Members

EVH uses Fender XL=.oo9-.040. Billy Gibbons uses ,008 and sometimes .0075's. Now that's light for the tones they get.

10's will be slightly beefier in sound and a litle stiffer to bend. If you like to bend a lot and I bend a lot with my pinky even, the .009's are the ones for me.

It's not that much of a change for a Floyd Rose. You may have to do some adjustments. I'd say experiment with a stop tail, non trem guitar to see how you like it with 10's. It's not that expensive of an experiment. Just the cost of the strings!

• Members

Good questions

I can play 11s and still shred but my guitars are setup really well to my exact standards. I have exactly the neck radius and shape that works well for my hands so my hands fly with heavy strings no problemo. My shredder guitars are Vs so I can play them in the "classical position" and that helps me get a better grip with less effort on bigger strings. Also, I've spent many years experimenting with strings and picks to find what is most comfortable for my hands.

Lots of great shredders played on 9s....and also on 10- 11s...so it's ultimately just up to the player and his particular guitar/tuning/rig etc

• 10 years later...
  • Members
I think increased string tension will make it seem easier at first' date=' but the secret behind it all is a very light touch on both your left and right hands. I would say the difference is between tone and the slight slinkyness of the strings, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other.[/quote']

What I believe was the true answer to the original question was getting lost, so I wanted to mark it out. Old thread but that is not a big deal in my opinion. A thicker gauge will bring control to the picking hand so it may initially feel easier to pick fast, but ultimately it will limit speed, because speed requires precisely a light touch on both hands.

Archived