Old Hollow Body Gibson

Coda

• Members

That ES 330 is a 61 or 62. No natural colours on 59 or 60. Red came out in 61 and the dots and black p'up covers gone by late 62, replaced with block inlays and chrome covers.

The amp is blowing fuses probably because of a bad power tube. I'd say replace them all. For starters, replace the power tubes. (6L6GC I think). And the tubes need to be biased. So take it to tech for new tubes and biasing. My buddy just changed all of his Super Reverb tubes for under $200 canadian. The biasing wasn't much.

Don't sell either of those items. They are definitely keepers to the grave. As a pair,...I would guess they could be worth at least $5,000us right now, all day long. Possibly more if things are really mint.

You are one lucky guy. I guess nobody in your family knows what things are worth which is good for you or they do know and they're generous as heck.

• Members

Well Doc, if it has a stop bar instead of a trapeze then I would have to say yours is a semi hollow because there has to be enough wood under the stop bar posts and a hollow body electric like my ES 330 just doesn't have enough because it's only 3 ply under 1/4" thick.

It's body looks like an ES 137 Classic which is semi hollow, Florentine single cut with center block and stop bar.
http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/137classic/137_classic.html

But yours has P90's and dot inlays right?

So I'm going to guess it's fairly old. Do you know it's age? What's the SN?

• Members

Well Doc, if it has a stop bar instead of a trapeze then I would have to say yours is a semi hollow because there has to be enough wood under the stop bar posts and a hollow body electric like my ES 330 just doesn't have enough because it's only 3 ply under 1/4" thick.

It's body looks like an ES 137 Classic which is semi hollow, Florentine single cut with center block and stop bar.

But yours has P90's and dot inlays right?

So I'm going to guess it's fairly old. Do you know it's age? What's the SN?

Well, I dont know much about it. I played it 2 years ago after my friend picked it up at a guitar show. He doesn't have it anymore, but I'll see if I can find more out.

• Members

Thanks to everyone who commented. I have another question though, I have a Fender Super Reverb serial number AB763. My uncle gave it to me a few years back. He found it in an ally in the 70's, and just had it sitting in the basement. It needs work though, Im not sure whats wrong with it, after about 10 mins of being on, the fuse blows, any ideas as to what could be wrong? also, i was wondering if the 63 means it was made in 1963?

AB763 means that the circuit was released for production in 7-63 (July 1963).

I believe that most Fender amps carried their same circuit designations through the blackface and silverface years. I'd guess that your amp is sometime between 1964-67.

Archived