THIS is the one (portable 2-track)

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

The SMPTE and W/C will take it into film and video markets so I would expect pricing to be towards the higher end of the scale.

These guys have something along the same lines:

This too

However, I prefer the Tascam over the Marantz, and suspect that the Tascam has much much better s/n and generally sounds better.

The timecode non-option does suggest a "film premium " for the HD-P2, but since it is so clearly the successor to the DA-P1, I'm hoping the price will be similar as well.

The issue of MicroTrak vs. HD-P2 is arguably apples and oranges, and perhaps they would compliment each other - the HD-P2 for "serious" recording, the MicroTrak for quick and dirty. The only thing is that if the MicroTrak is simply too compromised a design, it might never be useful for me, even as a sketchpad, in which case I'd splurge for the Tascam apple over the M-audio orange.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

The issue of MicroTrak vs. HD-P2 is arguably apples and oranges, and perhaps they would compliment each other - the HD-P2 for "serious" recording, the MicroTrak for quick and dirty. The only thing is that if the MicroTrak is simply too compromised a design, it might never be useful for me, even as a sketchpad, in which case I'd splurge for the Tascam apple over the M-audio orange.

That seems reasonable. :) I'd still like to try that M-Audio unit out though and make my decisions on it based on first hand experience. Hopefully Gus will be able to arrange a loaner for me to review. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I'd still like to try that M-Audio unit out though and make my decisions on it based on first hand experience. Hopefully Gus will be able to arrange a loaner for me to review.
:)

I'd be interested in your honest-to-goodness thoughts.

-PL&B

• Members

Some math reveils, that if you are actually using 24-bit, 192 kHz (which I certainly wouldn't), you get about 15 minutes of stereo audio on a 1 GB Flash Card.

If you choose (a more reasonable) 48000 kHz, you get an hour at 24 Bit and 90 minutes at 16 bit.

In any case, that battery would't be the limit.

Unless much bigger cards are become commonplace, I don't see the 16-track version coming. ;)

Archived