Truss rod issue - Keeps coming loose

jay3265E

• Members

Hey Guys,

Question to you regarding the truss rod on my G&L Comanche. I adjust it and a couple of weeks later it becomes loose. Any ideas on how to strengthen the truss rod grip so that I don't have to adjust it every few weeks?

And and all help is appreciated.

jay

• Members

Hey Guys,

Question to you regarding the truss rod on my G&L Comanche. I adjust it and a couple of weeks later it becomes loose. Any ideas on how to strengthen the truss rod grip so that I don't have to adjust it every few weeks?

And and all help is appreciated.

jay

Armitage is right, BUT-is the loosening due to the neck shifting? 'Cause that would be something to take care of.....

Larry

• Members

Armitage is right, BUT-is the loosening due to the neck shifting? 'Cause that would be something to take care of.....

Larry

I guess it depends on what neck shifting is. I'm not sure what that means. I can tell you that my NYC apartment fluctuates temperatures a little more than I'd like which could also not help the situation.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Thanks for the input.

• Members

I guess it depends on what neck shifting is. I'm not sure what that means. I can tell you that my NYC apartment fluctuates temperatures a little more than I'd like which could also not help the situation.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Thanks for the input.

The temperature and humidity changing is most likely the cause. I am un upstate NY and one of guitars is very sensitive to this, and I have to adjust it regularly. I know the guitar well, and just give it a little tweak when needed. Not really an issue.

If you don't already, keeping it in a nice hard shell case might help with this a little bit.

• Members

The temperature and humidity changing is most likely the cause. I am un upstate NY and one of guitars is very sensitive to this, and I have to adjust it regularly. I know the guitar well, and just give it a little tweak when needed. Not really an issue.

If you don't already, keeping it in a nice hard shell case might help with this a little bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I try to keep my babies in their cases as much as possible.

The catch with my G&Ls is that they use SKB case WHICH DOESN'T ACTUALLY FIT THE GUITARS! The headstock on my Comanche extends beyond the foam padding and is forced in. I contacted G&L and they don't care about it. I figure that keeping it out is better than the case based on that alone.

I'm not convinced that this is the root of the cause but perhaps a contributing factor. It just seems like the truss is loose and won't stay in place. I guess my options are nail polish or adjust more often then my other axes it seems like.

Again, thanks for all you responses guys. HC truly is a place to share knowledge!

• Members

See if the neck's straightness varies along with the truss rod's loosening. That's what I mean by 'shifting' in the neck. If the neck is moving, the truss rod can loosen and tighten. Try to discover if the neck is moving-the truss rod might just be a symptom of another issue.

Larry

• Members

It's a chicken and egg thing-it could be the truss is loosening, and letting the neck move. Or it could be that the neck is moving and letting the truss rod go slack. (IMHO, that's more likely.)

Either way, the neck shouldn't be moving that much, so having someone look at it makes sense. Check for moisture absorption, especially around screw holes and such-that's would be a probable cause for that much neck movement.

Larry

Archived