Adding a tone control to a Wolfgang Special?

cvogue

• Members

Anyone ever done this? How did it go?

I'd like to mellow out the tone of my Wolfie special... was wondering if I added a tone control and the tone control is all the way up, will it basically sound like it does now?

Thanks for any insight.

• Members

It should sound the same. What are you going to use? A concentric pot?

Unknown, I've done a few mods in the past but never put in a tone control. Is a tone control a variable capacitor? Or is it a pot with a capacitor attached to it?

• Members

Best thing you can do is change the volume pot for a push/pull pot! Then split the coils. I did this on mine big improvement for versitility.

Already did that! It does add more versatility, but the Wolfgang pickups are so hot and edgy I'd like something to tone them down a bit as it were.

• Members

Already did that! It does add more versatility, but the Wolfgang pickups are so hot and edgy I'd like something to tone them down a bit as it were.

Well I have had both the special and a standard. Just drill a hole and put one in there. Unless you are worried about the resale value. You could always use this as an excuse to buy a standard or a HP Special.

• Members

Well I have had both the special and a standard. Just drill a hole and put one in there. Unless you are worried about the resale value. You could always use this as an excuse to buy a standard or a HP Special.

Thanks... yeah I'd love a standard or an HP, but it's a lot cheaper to put in a tone control!

Do you use the tone control much in your standard? I've played some standards in stores briefly and seem to remember getting a nice clean out of them if you back off the tone control and the volume.

• Members

Thanks... yeah I'd love a standard or an HP, but it's a lot cheaper to put in a tone control!

Do you use the tone control much in your standard? I've played some standards in stores briefly and seem to remember getting a nice clean out of them if you back off the tone control and the volume.

I dont have any of them anymore. I took the neck off of my special and put it on a kramer style body. I always hated not having the strat contours so made it like I wanted but gotta love the neck!!!

I have always had dark amps so I just switch to split mode for cleans. But turning the tone just a bit and turning down the volume on the neck pickup I could get a good clean sound but not as good to my ears as having it split.

Sorry I am no help but I wish I could get one of the HPs to try out.

• Members

I dont have any of them anymore. I took the neck off of my special and put it on a kramer style body. I always hated not having the strat contours so made it like I wanted but gotta love the neck!!!

I have always had dark amps so I just switch to split mode for cleans. But turning the tone just a bit and turning down the volume on the neck pickup I could get a good clean sound but not as good to my ears as having it split.

Sorry I am no help but I wish I could get one of the HPs to try out.

No prob, thanks for the info.

• Members

I agree. I have pl;ayed a number of HB equipped guitars w/o a tone control and they were just too harsh and edgy. I put the dual concentric pots on my Blues Saraceno a while back. Definitely made it usable.

Archived