How to sell and distribute your own music?

ciperlone

• Members

I'm currently working on two main projects:

- a project with a friend of mine, that includes a 4 track cd + a 70 pages book with two chapters

- a solo project

The project with my friend is almost finished, and it will be an independent release, an author's edition with 500 units (500 cds+ 500 books). The product will be legally protected in SPA (Portuguese Society of Authors), and it will be legally printed by an independent company.

I also intent to sell the product online, but since there is a book included, it doesn't make much sense... So I’m betting mainly in the sale of a physical product.

A release party will be made to celebrate the issue, promote the product, invite friends and the media, and some units will be offered to random people.

I have several main doubts on how to distribute the product, and sell it in a legal way. Cds will be at sale in future concerts, but I know I can do that even with a homemade cd… This is a printed CD+Book.

I can create affiliates in cd and book stores, merchandising stores, coffees and bars… but they will need a receipt, right?

How to independently sell a product, in a legal way?

Can I sell this cd+book in the streets, legally?

I’m also developing a solo album, that will have some marketing strategies as the previous project, and will also be an independent release.

I was thinking about creating an Independent Label, but I don’t know if that’s a good choice. Will I spend a lot of money to create a label, besides registering for the label’s name?

Do you guys think that betting in the sale of a physical product is a good choice? Or should I bet mainly in online sales (people in my country are really used to make ilegal downloads of music, and I'm not sure if legal download would work)?

And, for legal issues, can I sell a cd+book the way I want, to whom I want? Do I need to have a label for that (for legal purposes)?

How did you guys managed to distribute and sell your own music? How did you suceed? What problems did you run into?

Thank you in advance for all the answers. And a GREAT 2010!!!

• Members

Definitely sell physical product. While it may not seem like it in today's download everything climate people still appreciate physical product and value it a lot more than virtual product.

As far as the legality, as long as you've copywritten your material and aren't using someone else's material in your project without their legal consent there's nothing stopping you from selling your stuff.

Setup a paypal buy it now button on your website and start promoting.

• Members

Yea if you're doing this on your own the best thing is just to get out there and get in people's faces about it by playing the music.

For the project you are working on with your friend, is it a tutorial book? What exactly is the book about is your don't mind elaborating? Maybe you and your buddy could go on some type of clinic tour talking about what's in your book at local music stores across your states and surrounding states.

Just an option.

• Members

No, the book is a romance novel, a dark story that talks about necrophilia and is very sentimental. The music is a complement of the written story, and the book is a complement of the CD. They are united.

Concerts seems like a good idea to sell cds, although we only have 3 songs and a declamation, and that is only about a half an hour of concert... And it's hard to play when one have such a short gig.

Thank's for all the great suggestions!

But did anyone managed to distribute and sell music sucessefully?

I would like some testemonials, if possible...

Cheers

• Members

As far as the legality, as long as you've copywritten your material and aren't using someone else's material in your project without their legal consent there's nothing stopping you from selling your stuff.

1. It's copyrighted, as in right to copy, not copywritten.

2. You don't have to register a copyright to play your own music or sell your own books. It is in fact a legally copyrighted piece as soon as it's put into fixed form-like a CD or lyrics written on a paper. Registering it is just that-registering what already exists.

3. You don't need legal consent to record someone else's material if it's already been released. You do need to acquire a mechanical license, which is paying the royalty up front for a quantity of CDs you make or estimated number of downloads you anticipate. Licensing is compulsory, meaning that if anyone wants to record any previously released song, they may as long as they pay the royalty. A license cannot be denied. An exception is use: if you want to use the recording for a commercial, that's a different deal, because an artist has say in what products his music is associated with.

You may quote other literary works if the quote is properly attributed,.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I know I can sell my own products. What I would like to know is that if I'm allowed to create a franshising to those products. Can I sell the product to CD and book stores, so they can sell it to the public, just because I want it?

(by the way, have anyone tryed this?)

Cheers, and thank you already for all the answers ;)

• Members

One way you can 'get your CD out there' is to find distributors who will sell it for you. Build a relationship with them.

If your CD is high quality and your tunes are something people will enjoy, then this will only make it easier....not that it ever really is:)

Just my 2 cents.

• Moderators
I know I can sell my own products. What I would like to know is that if I'm allowed to create a franshising to those products. Can I sell the product to CD and book stores, so they can sell it to the public, just because I want it?

(by the way, have anyone tryed this?)

Cheers, and thank you already for all the answers
;)

I'm not sure what you are asking here. You own the product, you can market it pretty much any way you want.

• Members

I'm not sure what you are asking here. You own the product, you can market it pretty much any way you want.

Since we live in a world were you have to pay to do anything... that's why I'm asking that.

Do I need to have a license so sell?

Archived