Will modern day strats 'relic' at all?

RoboCop00

• Members

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think the poly finishes would "wear" as much as "chip." This may not be as much of an issue for the neck as the body, though. I like my necks without a thick coating of lacquer, so maybe my maple ones will discolor eventually. Of course, I've had my maple-necked strat for fifteen years, and it hasn't discolored yet!

• Members

I've played some older Strats with heavy discolouration on the maple fretboards. It made me wonder if who ever owned it before was a mechanic who never washed his greasy, dirty hands and had skin like sand paper. I don't think it looks nice at all.

Some people sand some of the laquer off the back of the necks to get that warm, dry, slippery feel and I like that a whole lot.

My pair of 75 Strats are losing paint where my elbow rubs the finish. That is natural relicing and I don't mind it. But when the paint is peeled off like Kenny Wayne Shepherd's Strat,...uh,...it's kind of disgusting to my eyes and I'd still probably not do anything about it. Or take all the paint off. If it was really old, I'd leave it alone.

I'd never artificially relic any of my guitars. I just don't have the heart.

Who could possibly take a hammer to any of these?

CIMG0047.jpg

CIMG0091.jpg

• Members

70s strats were poly, right?

So that would probably be a good indicator of what a poly-finished guitar will look like in 30-40 years :idea:

I definitely agree watching my RG3120 age with use - it chips to the bare would where it seems like with old nitro guitars the finish wears down in thickness more.

• Members

I am in the middle of a relic'd SRV build. Hindshight, i should have either paid the man and got a NITRO finished body, or got a new unsealed/unpainted body and painted it with nitro colors from stew mac. Trying to relic a POLY body is a HUGE pain. If it wasnt for the fact that SRV's #1 has little paint on it to begin with, i would have started over---it is tough stuff. I think other than normal dirt and UV discoloration, and normal nicks from wear and tear, POLY finished guitars are going to look much like they did when new.

Archived