Overdrive/Distrotion/Fuzz

Ged LST

• Members

Hey gentlemen and rough-women, been moving house, I'm back, no-one make a big deal about it... yep, that's good.

Have read a number of articles about which order to put pedals in, modulations, drives, etc etc, I was wondering what's the best order to put just drive pedals in; should you have highest gain ones first and then lower gain as you go through the chain or vice versa?

I know, whatever sounds best to me, but what's the "general rule" or at least, what "do you think"?

Cheers.

- Ged

• Members

I typically go in gain order, high to low.

I think most fuzzes sound better earlier in your chain, but it really depends on what your fuzzes are, and what else you're running. I can't stand modulation, so i'm afraid i don't know how the order affects phasers and stuff. Sorry.

My dirt line goes like this:
Keeley Fuzz Head - Boss OD2 (on the Distortion setting) - RPG Blue Flame (mid/high gain OD) - Bad Monkey (set to pretty low gain).

• Members
Ok, I know that my reply would be uncalled for in this thread, but still, the rule of thumb is don't use pedals, if you have to, use just 1 or 2 tops, or else you'll sound {censored}ty like Vai or Satch.

Vai & Satch sound like a mourning show.

• Members
Ok, I know that my reply would be uncalled for in this thread, but still, the rule of thumb is don't use pedals, if you have to, use just 1 or 2 tops, or else you'll sound {censored}ty like Vai or Satch.

:thu: Don't worry, I want opinions regardless of content!

Cheers guys.

- Ged

• Members

Hey gentlemen and rough-women, been moving house, I'm back, no-one make a big deal about it... yep, that's good.

Have read a number of articles about which order to put pedals in, modulations, drives, etc etc, I was wondering what's the best order to put just drive pedals in; should you have highest gain ones first and then lower gain as you go through the chain or vice versa?

I know, whatever sounds best to me, but what's the "general rule" or at least, what "do you think"?

Cheers.

- Ged

I usually set my low gains up first. For example I will set up my Boss Turbo Overdrive to emulate a tube amp that is wide open. Thats the "main" drive sound. If I lower my guitar volumes it cleans up like on an overdriven tube amp. Then I will use other pedals to give even more gain or boosts to that "main" sound. I usually Use a DS-1 for more gain or the boost feature on my Boss Hyper Fuzz. Sometimes I use an old DOD overdrive / pre-amp pedal (nice).

Thats how I usually goes when volumes are restricted. If I am in a situation where I can crank one of my tube amps wide open (best option) Then I usually just use a boost pedal with either the Turbo or DS for tone "colorations".

• Members

I sound like {censored} regardless. When i had my old rig, i just sounded like {censored} a million times over. Now i'm quitting the delays, i sound like {censored} just the once.

It's somehow more embarassing this way.

:confused:

• Members

fuzz depends on the fuzz. if its a Germanium fuzz, then they usually like to be first. if its a silicon fuzz you can sometimes get away with putting them later in the chain, but be prepared to not have as much range when you want it to interact with your guitar's volume knob.

my main dirt pedal is the Tonefactor Mule. I'm currently waiting on a Tonefactor Copperhead, which is a dual JFet boost, to put in front of it.

its really easy to sound like {censored} with too many dirt pedals. course, its really easy to sound like {censored} with too much dirt, period. doesn't matter where it comes from.

my only advice is to stay the hell away from tubescreamers. they've been so overdone, and its time to do something else.

Archived