Godin SD how are they?

T0MCAT

• Members

I know Godin acoustics are very nice for the money (A&L, Seagull), but how are these? I would think the Godin electrics are good too. These SD's are 360 new. (I breifly checked out a used godin at GC and it seemed to be a quality guitar, went back today and it was gone.

I'm not impressed with the MIM standard strats at GC. I'm thinking of ordering one of these. If it is of good quality, I could always upgrade it a bit if I like it.

• Members

I love mine. I prefer then to MIM strats. The build quality is pretty impressive, and they're cheap enough to mod later.

That's what I was thinking/hoping. Like i said, their acoustics are great for the money, I love Art and Lutheries.

• Members

Godin makes a very nice guitar. I like them.

The only issue to consider is whether you like the neck size and profile. They are very playable but they are broad with a flat radius.

So, are you saying they have a wider neck? Because I'd really like that. I use my bare fingers mostly so that works for me. And, I heard, correct me if I'm wrong, the short scale neck, or whatever they call it is good for bends. I like to do a lot of bending.

I wonder if it can handle 11's or 12's?

I really may have to get one of these, they're sounding like they may be just what I'm looking for. I'm feeling some GAS comming on. . .

• Members

So, are you saying they have a wider neck? Because I'd really like that. I use my bare fingers mostly so that works for me. And, I heard, correct me if I'm wrong, the short scale neck, or whatever they call it is good for bends. I like to do a lot of bending.

I wonder if it can handle 11's or 12's?

I really may have to get one of these, they're sounding like they may be just what I'm looking for. I'm feeling some GAS comming on. . .

It'll handle .11s just fine, though .12s are for the telephone cable contingent.

Wide and flat describes the neck perfectly. It's a sort of Wizard meets Seagull thing.

The SD is really a different animal than a strat, though. The scale length does more than make strings easier or harder to bend, it gives Fender-scale guitars that trademark "snap".

• Members

The scale length does more than make strings easier or harder to bend, it gives Fender-scale guitars that trademark "snap".

Thats true the longer scale on the fenders gives them the trademark snap. The shorter scale on these will make bending easier and give a smoother and (can't think of a word) Jazzier tone. I prefer the shorter scale for my purposes and would love a Godin.

• 12 years later...

Archived