Gibson SG standerd Tuners?

waw423

• Members

I got a Gibson SG standerd and I doesn't stay in tune for more than 5 mins. Is it the tuners? And also will Sperzel tuners work without me having to drill the hole bigger or any other mods? Thanks

• Members

I got a Gibson SG standerd and I doesn't stay in tune for more than 5 mins. Is it the tuners? And also will Sperzel tuners work without me having to drill the hole bigger or any other mods? Thanks

Could be a number of reasons why it is not staying in tune. Are you giving the strings time to stretch out? Do you hear any "ping" noises when tuning up or bending? What guage are you using? Is your playing style really aggressive?

Dont know if the sperz' are direct fits. The Gibson GT series comes with Grover locking tuners. I would imagine those would be a direct replacement fit.

• Members

Its probably the nut being cut too narrow. Thats a common problem on SGs. My SG Standard was like that when I first got it but over time it stays in tune much better., You could also rub a pencil between the grooves of the nut and I've heard that you can do the same with Chap Stick.

I kept the stock tuners on but I have heard that Grovers drop right in but you will see the extra hole on the back of the headstock.

Archived