thinking about a strat

• Members

I've been thinking about buying a strat for a couple of years, and have my eye on a beautiful MIA strat in three color sunburst with a maple fretboard down at the local GC. Out of a couple similar guitars, this one is head and shoulders above. Really a nice strat.

BUT.... while I can afford it, I want to save up for a new house, and I want to get a hand built hollowbody at some point and I have guitars that i don't use but feel kind of weird about selling. I've basically been playing the same guitars since I was 13 and the last one I added to the collection was my tele which I bought at a pawn shop in 1998.

I'm no longer the shedder I once was, and now more of an overly loud blues/funk guy. I feel like my guitar should reflect my current style.

Also, GC has the 12 months no interest thing, so i could buy it and just pay for it when I meet the budgetary goals that I set out for myself before my next big purchase?

should I do it?

• Members
Strats are great guitars! I love them and always will. If it's calling then go for it!

But I hate same as cash and zero financing deals. I'd much rather have the cash in hand
:thu:

I have the cash in hand, but it doesn't mesh with my budgeting. And yeah, I know that spending the cash now is essentially the same as spending it later, but I could get a 12 month CD with the money and effectively get myself a discount by collecting interest and then paying off the guitar when the CD comes due.

• Members

I have the cash in hand, but it doesn't mesh with my budgeting. And yeah, I know that spending the cash now is essentially the same as spending it later, but I could get a 12 month CD with the money and effectively get myself a discount by collecting interest and then paying off the guitar when the CD comes due.

If you do it just make sure you pay it off IN FULL before the no interest period runs out otherwise GC will hammer you with back interest. They are depending on you to do that

• Members

my general rule is to gather the cash prior to the purchase. that way, i'm not over-extended. Finance and interest charges suck. You can wait until you save the money. If you can;t save the money, or sell some stuff to get it, then economically you REALLY don;t need it.

In a way, that is my life lesson. I have managed to save money over the years by being a little frugal to purchase large items like a new car for cash - you really can't believe how much you save when you DON'T FINANCE.

good luck.

• Members

my general rule is to gather the cash prior to the purchase. that way, i'm not over-extended. Finance and interest charges suck. You can wait until you save the money. If you can;t save the money, or sell some stuff to get it, then economically you REALLY don;t need it.

In a way, that is my life lesson. I have managed to save money over the years by being a little frugal to purchase large items like a new car for cash - you really can't believe how much you save when you DON'T FINANCE.

good luck.

Yeah totally. My plan would not be to actually pay any interest. But rather to accelerate a planned purchase but have the monetary outflow at the appropriate time, while getting what I want now. The question is whether I really NEED a strat.

Archived