My guitar got Shanghai'ed!

myway

• Members

Hi,

Well a while back I had bought a ,"Lawsuit", Ibanez SG. Probably a 74' or 76' model. I finally got it set-up where it was at least playable. The problem I ran into was the fretboard seems to thin for me. When I am playing in the lower frets the strings are too close together for my pudgy fingers. So I thought that I might sell it again, or trade for something more suitable. Well a couple of days had gone by. I was just waking up, ( I work third trick), and I hear my amp roaring a little bit in the other room. I go out there thinking someone had left it on and it was going to feedback. Instead I walk in to find my son with said Ibanez SG strapped on....and that cheesy COOOOOL! smile on his face. He was attempting to play Bucketheads version of the theme from Friday the 13th. Now when he first started playing , I allowed him the use of my Peavey Predator. Well he dinged it up a bit which I did not mind, I thought he made it look cooler actually. But tonight I asked him, "Well do you like it?" The smile said it all. I know that smile all to well. So I am pretty sure I would be a proverbial poop-head If I attempted to sell it. So question is should I give him the SG for his own? I am worried that he would bang it around. I don't think he understands the whole lets be careful, this is a vintage guitar thing. Or should I just let him use it, but remain the guitars owner? This is really a hard question. If I give it to him I really want him to take care of it and appreciate it. But that rarely happens when something is just given to you. What do you think? Some of you Fathers out there now what I mean.

• Members

i agree with voltaire. get him a new guitar thats just like it (epiphone sg) and hell think "cool dad got me a guitar just like his for my own!!"

he can bang it up and you wont wince. that way he can cut his teeth on a nicer guitar, and doesnt have to beat up your vintage one.

either decision you make (giving him yours or getting him his own) im sure he would be ecstatic either way. im sure you are a pretty great dad.

• Members

IMO, make him earn it, don't sell it and give him a run of the mill epiphone. It is something cool and somewhat unique that he is most likely not going to get anywhere else. If he realizes what it is worth and how much he had to work to get it he will take care of it.

Archived