Fret Buzz?

Timmott

• Members

So my Xaviere needed a setup cause the intonation was off and there was a lot of fret buzz. I took it to my tech and he said no matter what he did he couldnt get the fret buzz to go away. What could be the problem? He said the neck could be twisted. Would that cause the fret buzz? Should I try to get in touch with Jay at GFS and ask for an exchange or could there be something my tech over looked? Thanks.

• Members

Theres no one else near me :o. I emailed Jay and hopefully he will reply soon with some answers, I just hope the warranty covers the guitar if the neck is indeed twisted. I've only had it for a month and its great, but the fret buzz can be heard through the amp so its pretty bad.

• Members

I have two Xaviere's including an XV-800. Both have string buzz issues, but nothing that comes through the amp. I adjusted the truss rod and raised the saddle. I figured I would have to maybe change the nut and find the specific frets and file those down to totally fix it, but I don't have time for that now. I mainly just play them when I'm cranking the amp and play my Ibanez's for couch strumming and no fret buzz. By the way Timmot, you and I IM'd before you got your Xaviere. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.

• Members

No the Xaviere is a amazing guitar and I'd glady buy another, the only problem is the fret buzz. If it wasnt noticeable through my amp then it wouldnt be a problem, but it is. Playing at gigging volume or at band practice brings out the buzz even more and makes it sound even worse. The fact that my tech (who's very knowledgeable btw) couldnt get the fret buzz out no matter what he did is cause for some concern. I'm hoping for the best, but it seems like the neck might be warped.

• Members

As far as I can tell its intonated. I'll probably take it to a 2nd tech to get it looked at more thoroughly, but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone knew what was wrong. I'll try to search through my Dads tools later to see if he has a straight edge so I can see if the frets are level. Can anyone else add some input as to why my frets are buzzing?

• Members

sounds to me, like you have a fret leveling issue that needs to be addressed to start with, so start with a straight edge and check for light on top of each fret with the straightedge backlit like I said, OR it may become readily apparent if you are able to rock the straightedge across the top of the high fret.

• Members

Only other possibility that would cause fret buzz if the frets are level is that the neck angle is incorrect.

Measure the string to fret distance at say the 2nd, 7th, 12th, and 19th frets. The distance between the string and the fret should slightly increase. If it doesn't then the neck angle is bad. If its a bolt on then you can shim the neck....if not..well.....

Archived