What is THE texas blues sound?

Faber

• Members

Is there such a thing? I keep reading and hearing people refering to "the" texas blues sound in the singular, but it seems to me that the bluesmen out of texas sound pretty different - I don't hear a lot of tonal similarities between SRV, Copeland and Freddie King for example.

So, what is this texas blues sound? Do these people really just mean SRV's sound?

• Members

Listen to

* Albert Collins
* The Fabulous Thunderbirds
* Lightnin' Hopkins
* Blind Lemon Jefferson
* Janis Joplin
* Freddie King
* Leadbelly
* Kenny Wayne Sheppard
* Guitar Shorty
* Big Mama Thornton
* Jimmie Vaughan
* Stevie Ray Vaughan
* T-Bone Walker
* Edgar Winter
* Johnny Winter
* ZZ Top

• Members

Listen to

* Albert Collins

* Lightnin' Hopkins

* Blind Lemon Jefferson

* Janis Joplin

* Freddie King

* Leadbelly

* Kenny Wayne Sheppard

* Guitar Shorty

* Big Mama Thornton

* Jimmie Vaughan

* Stevie Ray Vaughan

* T-Bone Walker

* Edgar Winter

* Johnny Winter

* ZZ Top

+1

• Members

Listen to

* Albert Collins

* Lightnin' Hopkins

* Blind Lemon Jefferson

* Janis Joplin

* Freddie King

* Leadbelly

* Kenny Wayne Sheppard

* Guitar Shorty

* Big Mama Thornton

* Jimmie Vaughan

* Stevie Ray Vaughan

* T-Bone Walker

* Edgar Winter

* Johnny Winter

* ZZ Top

I have, and I do, and that's what made me ask - Tell me how there's a singular, defining trait to a)their playing or b) their sound. Those guys are diverse enough that they might as well come from all over the country

• Members

the only thing the above mentioned artists have in common is that they are all from texas

but you can see the evolution of the music when you listen to KWS, who is heavily infulenced by SRV, who was heavily influenced by albert king.....yada yada yada

• Members

I don't recall ever hearing the term "texas blues sound" before SRV came along.

I agree... I'd say that when people refer to Texas Blues they usually are refering to SRV even if they have never heard his stuff they probably heard someone trying to sound like him.

• Members

Is there such a thing? I keep reading and hearing people refering to "the" texas blues sound in the singular, but it seems to me that the bluesmen out of texas sound pretty different - I don't hear a lot of tonal similarities between SRV, Copeland and Freddie King for example.

So, what is this texas blues sound? Do these people really just mean SRV's sound?

"The Texas Blues" sound is not a particular tone, but the range of sounds in that broad tradition.

This question is like asking "who is *the* Catholic writer?" or " who is *the* Hollywood fimmaker?"

• Members

Johnny Winter's first two albums cover a lot of ground under this heading, from acoustic delta, to Texas jump, to electric slide, to electric six string. Texas blues didn't happen in isolation, either! There was lots of cross-talk from Chicago, Memphis, and Mississippi, with a little swing, Cajun, and big-band thrown in.

Good heavens, people! SRV holding the title is kind of weird, when you consider that his idols, mentors, and strongest influences included such non-Texans as Albert King and Jimi Hendrix...:wave:

• Members

There's more to Texas blues than SRV, great as he was.

These days I usually see the phrase used on some crappy sounding digital amp modeller purporting to make me sound like SRV with the push of a button. It's become a manufacturer's code, like "Vintage Tweed" and "Brit Clean".

About as far away from the Texas blues sound you can get...

• Members

When I think of Texas Blues, I think about the rhythm and lyrics more so than "tone". Listen to Lightnin' and Albert and get a feel for that down home Texas thing. I think when SRV came alone and started putting overwound SCs in his strat is when the tone thing came along.

I didn't know Leadbelly was considered part of the Texas tradition. He was from Louisiana.

• Members

When I think of Texas Blues, I think about the rhythm and lyrics more so than "tone". Listen to Lightnin' and Albert and get a feel for that down home Texas thing. I think when SRV came alone and started putting overwound SCs in his strat is when the tone thing came along.

I didn't know Leadbelly was considered part of the Texas tradition. He was from Louisiana.

Yeah, and since David Crosby was in prison in Texas, does he qualify?

• Members

Some fine replies, thanks. I was mostly thinking timbre in the original post, but of course the texas sound can be defined by other traits. And there are probably more rhythmic similarities between the mentioned artists than aural ones

and Yup, Trout is a monster, and gravely underappreciated

• Members

I'm not sure if Trout still lives here in denmark, but he did for a while, and I must have seen him a dusin times. he always deliver on stage. The albums can be a bit spotty, but stage performances:eek:

Archived