singers."

And I said that I didn't think there were that many
good
singers out there.

Originally posted by Tele-vania65000

I have to disagree that there are a lot of
great
singers out there.

Again, like I said. Just a matter of labels and what one considers "good" versus "great." I don't think we actually disagree.

Cheers,

Mark

• Members

*exhausted by minutae*

Okay, so you think there are a lot of good singers out there.

I don't.

I think they are few and far between.

What isn't few and far between is original bands doing music no one wants to hear.

Which is what makes AI interesting. People who can sing and look good and have a likeable personality (huge part of the deal) do not grow on trees.

Dudes who think they are the next Paul Westerberg do and it's tiresome to hear these same master geniuses running down popular entertainment all the time (not that I'm talking about you).

• Members

I think Kellie Pickler is a nice story. Never had a lesson and probably cannot afford it. But beneath that shy, unsure persona is a real voice. In general I think most of the women this year are cookie-cutter forgettable. No one really stands out.

The men this year have some real talent and a lot of variety. AI seems to be moving away from the beginning where everyone was supposed to be like Justin Timberlake or Mariah Carry. They have been pushed that way by the audience voting. This year you have men who focus on blues, pop, rock and even 50

• Members

Originally posted by Rabid

My pick so far is Ace Young. He sings with much more musicality than anyone who has been on the show before.

Robert

I agree he's a good bet to win, but I disagree on how. Plain and simple I see that woman adore this guy...even during the auditions the other male singers were acknowledging that he's the unanimous choice of young females..

My take - I think 'Sway' will sing circles around him. Chris Daughtry steals a portion of his female audience, and Taylor will "Joe Cocker" him to death!

He may still end up winning though.

• Members

Man there's so much bitching about apples and oranges and all variants of both!!

First of all Music is a PERFORMING ART. So there cannot be a creation of music without the performer. ergo, a good/great song is only as good as the performer who performs it!!! What is music anyway if not a communication skill. A means to convey feeling, emotion and ideas. How can you have a good piece of music if there are no good or even just competent performers to play it and be the benckmark for saying thats a good song!! A good singer will make a song take flight, a bad singer will make any "great/good" song horrendous.

If all there is to a great/good singer is that you can immediately recognize them when they sing, then let's give Will Hung a grammy. Music is a whole package, a package subject to the whims of "right idea at the right place and time". If you think that carrie underwood would not have been a hit had she not been on AI, then sorry to burst your bubble but that is what AI is, a large marketing arm, a shortcut to an end. And please name me one hit song without a "large marketing arm behind it". We are in the age of big business entertainment and sad to say, the most dominant form of music is that of the 4 min radio friendly song!

artist/songwriter, singer, musician, arranger, they are all part of and each one a package, a combination that includes charisma, tonal quality, musicianship and the ability to communicate and move people with all the cubjective criterias applied.

Bob Dylan is probably the worst american singer but he happens to be one of americas' greatest songwriters and artist because how he touched the people around him with his lyrics and music was so huge and appropriate for the time, became instrumental to his greatness.

Greatness implies an enduring legacy. the ability to conquer all, and can only be assessed in retrospect to their achievement. A great singer is one who has consistently touched the hearts of more and more people and in a longer timespan. remain in the publics' mind. But then today, that needs a strong marketing arm to reach out to the billions of audiences. Ergo AI and all those record labels etc. etc.

Sinatra is undoubtedly one of the greats, not the best, so is Pink Floyd one of the greatest artists/bands, So is Led zep, hendrix and a lot of others in the so many variants or genres. The greatest artist of our century? we'll know in a hundred years time.

Just as we can say the same now for bach, beethoven, mozart, puccini etc.

There are definitely a lot of good singers out there with the potential to be great singers, AI contestants included!!

• Members

Regarding Taylor(grey heaired guy)..

I'd trade wealth and fame to work with just 4-5 cats who loved music the way he does.. You can feel the love pouring out of his soul when he performes.

He won't win I don't think, but his music will sell for the rest of his life because just like Craig's daughter, people get it!

Ok, onto the loser's last night.. I'm guessing Becky got bounced so she(and twin sister) could get on with there modeling/acting/hotchick careers.. Maxim agrees!

Becky & sis

My top 6 guys so far-

1)Elliott

2)Ace

3)Taylor

4)Chris

5)Sway

6)David

My top 6 girls so far-

1)Katherine

2)Lisa

3)Paris

4)Mandisa

5)Basketball girl(Ayla?)

6)Kellie(fanbase)

Honerable mention- Kinnik.. she has chops but needs to shine.

*sidenote, anyone see Lisa(the16yr old) sobbing when Patrick got bounced last night? I see America falling head over heels for this girl...talented and very genuine!

Archived