The $89.00 Univox Strat copy...anyone?

OldGuitarPlayer

• Members

Hi folks,

A few months ago I picked up this "Made in Japan" Univox 1970's looking Stratocaster copy. I have checked the Univox.org site and have only seen one other Univox Strat like this in their "counterfeit" guitar section.

I thought I would post some pics of it in hopes that maybe somebody else has one or knows anything about these Univox guitars they might be able to help me figure out when it was made and by who...The only Strat style guitar that Univox seems to have made was the "Ripper" which came with 3 humbuckers.

As you can see from the pics, this Univox Strat has the usual configuration of 3 single coils. It also has the original "vintage" 3-way switch and really smooth 250K pots. Although the pups are ceramic they don't sound that bad and do a good job of emulating that early Buddy Guy tone. The body is made of laminate and the neck is a 2 piece with a nice maple fingerboard. The tuners are pretty cheap but effective.

Enjoy the pics! :)

Uni%20Strat%201.jpg

Uni%20Strat%202.jpg

Uni%20Strat%203.jpg

Uni%20Strat%204.jpg

• Members

Counterfeit Univox? That's new
:D

Looks sweet, congrats
:thu:

I know...thats what I thought too when I read about it at Univox.org. That seems to be the most informative Univox site on the internet. I did email the guy who runs the site but he wasn't able to tell me much...only what info he had on his site already. It's a pretty fun guitar and since I only have 3 electric guitars it gets used quite alot at gigs and jams. It doesn't sound half bad cranked through my Classic 30...and with some distortion it gives a nice classic 70's rock sound. Played clean it gives a nice vintage blues sound. It has a really slippery maple fretboard and the action is nice...setup like a blues guitar..I think I'll keep her :D

Uni%20Strat%202.jpg

• Members

The only Univox strat copy I could find has 3 humbuckers and the logo is pretty much different so who knows who actually made it.
:idk:

As long as it plays and sounds good it shouldn't matter
:thu:

Yes...ArKay, that is exactly right...:thu:

It does play nice and sounds great and thats really all that counts...but I do like a bit of a mystery tho' ..:cool:

Archived