Played the EVH Frankenstein yesterday

Pete Rules

• Members

And it was awesome. Worth $25,000? i dunno, i couldn't fathom having that much $$$ to spend on a guitar. but if i did i'd consider picking one up. the attention to detail was crazy, it was super light and resonant, and "ain't talking bout love" sounded awesome. It felt 100 times better than the charvek reissues they did recently.

the new EVH amp sounded pretty good too.

• Members

its called replicas. look around, and you prolly wont find the EXACT replica, but good luthiers(or companies) can do it for quarter of the price(prolly less) and use the exact same wood and everything...prolly throw in a neckthru neck to give in an added extra

• Members

Cool, thanks for posting. Was it that light? I'm surprised, because my understanding is that guitar was hard ash, not swamp ash. They probably got the best pieces of hard ash they can find, but resonant hard ash isn't supposed to be that light, and the neck is maple, so I'm surrpised it was that light.

What was better than the Charvel? The sustain? Neck profile?

• Members

Cool, thanks for posting. Was it that light? I'm surprised, because my understanding is that guitar was hard ash, not swamp ash. They probably got the best pieces of hard ash they can find, but resonant hard ash isn't supposed to be that light, and the neck is maple, so I'm surrpised it was that light.

What was better than the Charvel? The sustain? Neck profile?

well we were putting in a glass case to display so i didn't spend too much time with it, but it was definately lighter than most strats i've played, even with the back covered in trucker reflectors.

i've played the charvel a few times and it just seemed like an overpriced strat with few features and a goofy paint job, which essentially is all it is. but this one just had the "mojo" that you look for in a good guitar. it just sounded great and played great. the neck was very worn, but not assymetrical like the axis or the wolfgang. just a cool guitar, way more fun than the jimmy page vos doubleneck and it seemed to bring out the 1984 version of everyone in the store.

Archived