02/06 Editorial: Nothing New at NAMM

Anderton

• Members
Originally posted by MikeRivers

Beat the May rush. Order your yue-qui, sheng, er-hu, and zheng today!
;)

Also, today it was announced that the US now has the largest ever trade gap with China and we intend to "get tough" with Chinese manufacturers. Perhaps music will soothe the savage beats.

Everybody knows that Cuba has a rich musical heritage as well, why not include them too. :idea:;)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Rique

Everybody knows that Cuba has a rich musical heritage as well, why not include them too.
:idea:;)

Pardon my tongue in cheek (first step toward foot in mouth). The NAMM preess release is to promote trade in music products (which is what I've been talking about here) rather than the cultural side.

Besides, I don't think we have a free trade agreement with Cuba yet.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I'd agree that the Tronical system is something new and different ... brings new meaning to the word "autotune"
:)

I have a tough time tuning my acoustic yairi with a standard tuner.

I have no pick-up, an' so I place the tuner close to the sound hole.

the needle Seems too spikey and just won't lock on to the note and I go aroun' an' an' aroun and tune it up and down for too many minutes and seconds an oy, til' it gets somewhere close.

Maybe a middle end tuner expecially for an acoustic tone=wood git-tar without a pick-op mon' " ey? wot, wot?

oh and cushion it against fumble fanger'd dropsy artists like me.

I would pay thirty smackies for a device like that and thank it's a bar-gin i would. heh heh!

• CMS Author

Originally posted by arellspencer

I have a tough time tuning my acoustic yairi with a standard tuner.

I have no pick-up, an' so I place the tuner close to the sound hole.

the needle Seems too spikey and just won't lock on to the note

Now that we're sufficiently off topic, let me suggest that you try using a pair of cheap headphones as a microphone. Most tuners have a mini jack (or even a real 1/4" jack) for a pickup. Hang the phones over the top with one inside the sound hole, plug them into the external mic input jack, and see if that dosn't stabilize your tuner.

Since that tuner input jack is mono, you'll only be using one earphone. Try each one inside the body and see which way works the best. Mark that earpiece so you'll know how to hang them next time.

Archived