Creating an "Epiphone Sg Classic"

Saturday

• Members

anybody did this?

- buy an epiphone g-400 in heritage cherry

- put some GFS P-90s on it (or other humbucker-sized P-90s)

Is it a good idea? it sounds good? i love the idea of a sg classic, but they are too much money for me.

cheers,

saturday.

• Members

Hmmm........well it sounds like a cool idea but..........the 400's are not really made from mahogony and a p-90 sized humbucker wont get you the "real" p-90 sound.

Whats your budget? Plenty of cool p-90 guitars out there that are not to expensive.....Les Paul DC faded for example goes used for a decent price.

• Members

The only Epiphones made from wood considered to be real mahogany are the Elitist series. They use African Mahogany. It's a selling point and they advertise it as being African Mahog. That's part of teh reason why they cost as much as they do. The rest are made from all kinds of stuff....Agathis for example...or a thin mahogany type veneer with a core of some other solid wood. There are {censored}loads of wood out there "classified" as mahogony but arent even close to being mahog.

Take my G400 Korina for example. It has a very thin "korina" type veneer with some kind of solid wood making up the rest. Could be alder or something...I dont know...as I didnt want to scrape anymore out the control cavity to see waht was what. Just enough to know what it was not.

That doesnt make them {censored}ty guitars though. Plenty of cool sounding Epiphones out there. I think my g400 Korina SG sounds nice. It's a fun guitar. It just is what it is though. Looks like an SG but really does not sound like one.

Archived