Anybody splashed out on some Powertrons?

• Members

There's a pair in this Agile. They sound great but not really like a Filtertron. "Brash" is a good word. Metallic and tight with a punchy sound. Snappy. Not a huge amount of sustain. They sound nice but I think TV Jones' Filtertron Classics

are more versatile. I like the way old Filtertrons sound and TV Jones has fixed the problem with those 90's "excuse" Filtertrons. Hi Sensitivity Filtertrons are nice too. I'm glad I got these, but I have a TV Jones Filtertron equipped guitar that gets more use.

Hilotrons are way underrated too.junior.jpg

• Moderators

There's a pair in this Agile. They sound great but not really like a Filtertron. "Brash" is a good word. Metallic and tight with a punchy sound. Snappy. Not a huge amount of sustain. They sound nice but I think TV Jones' Filtertron Classics

are more versatile. I like the way old Filtertrons sound and TV Jones has fixed the problem with those 90's "excuse" Filtertrons. Hi Sensitivity Filtertrons are nice too. I'm glad I got these, but I have a TV Jones Filtertron equipped guitar that gets more use.

Hilotrons are way underrated too.

I like most of your description, up until the sustain bit. Are the Classics OK for sustain?

My instinct is to use a Classic or Powertron at the bridge and a HT1 at the neck in English EM1 mounts.

• Moderators

I was thinking about the GFS Overwound Nashville filtertron as a sub. Its cheap enough that if I dont dig it, I can always change it out, sell it or put it into another project.

I'm a great advocate of GFS stuff, but life is too short to not try some TVJs. I think I'll splash. This guitar should be worth it.:thu:

• Members

I have GFS standard Nashville pickups and do feel that TV Jones are a little better. A bit more presence with them. Another thing about Powertrons: VERY sensitive to polepiece adjustments. My recommendation is not to have both polepieces corresponding to a given string at different heights. You get a kind of phase cancleation going pretty easy that way. Raise them both in unison when balancing string to string outputs.

Archived