$15,000- 1952 Fender Telecaster?

MrSandMan

• Members

1952 telecaster non orig running gear. Signed tadeo 12-15-52 orig neck.."D" stamped early 51 or before. body has beautiful older refinish.

Help me figure out what I have. Thanks! :thu:

Is this a $500 / $5000 / or $15,000 guitar?

bassmantele.jpg

:wave:

• Members

• Members

On the other hand, after consorting ebay, I'm not really sure. Vintage strats fetch 25000$, vintage teles... Not so much

BTW I'm not sure if number 2 is an actual '52

Is the first auction a 52' non-reissue. Because the ad says; "52' Style Fender Telecaster"

Who in the right mind would sell an 1952 Fender for $1000?

• Members

Sounds like you might have an old neck on a new body.

Mainly because they didn't have 6 saddle bridges for early tele's

OUCH! That means the guitar doesn't hold much value. I have a customer who wants me to sell this guitar for him on commission. He wants 12k. I'm just skeptical if I can fetch him that kind of money for it.

• Members

OUCH! That means the guitar doesn't hold much value. I have a customer who wants me to sell this guitar for him on commission. He wants 12k. I'm just skeptical if I can fetch him that kind of money for it.

Your best bet it to take it all apart (carefully) and photograph every part, form all angles - then get George Gruhn to give you an appraisal.

Probably the neck alone + the tuners if they are original will be the part to sell.

• Members

No way. You won't get even close to 12k on that, even if it's an original body but a later bridge assembly.

A close friend of mine has a 1954 Tele that his dad bought brand new and didn't play much. Thing is dead nuts original, down to the case, tags, and receipt. However, his older brother painted over it with blue house paint when they were kids.

David had it appraised by Dave Gruhn a few years back for about $3k as is, or $5500 with the blue paint taken off, which he said was a minor deal because of the type of paint and because the original finish was still there under the blue paint.

$12k is waaaaaaaay high on a '52 tele with an unconfirmed provenance.

EDIT:

I think I'm wrong. There's one that sold on eBay not too long ago that you can still pull up....went for a little over $38k.

• Members

No way. You won't get even close to 12k on that, even if it's an original body but a later bridge assembly.

A close friend of mine has a 1954 Tele that his dad bought brand new and didn't play much. Thing is dead nuts original, down to the case, tags, and receipt. However, his older brother painted over it with blue house paint when they were kids.

David had it appraised by Dave Gruhn a few years back for about $3k as is, or $5500 with the blue paint taken off, which he said was a minor deal because of the type of paint and because the original finish was still there under the blue paint.

$12k is waaaaaaaay high on a '52 tele with an unconfirmed provenance.

EDIT:

I think I'm wrong. There's one that sold on eBay not too long ago that you can still pull up....went for a little over $38k.

LOL...I was gettin excited till I saw your "edit"....if your buddy David wants to part with that ole nasty thing for for $5500 "as is", pm me. :)

Seriously, if it's all original except the finish I'd do that in a minute!

• Members

LOL...I was gettin excited till I saw your "edit"....if your buddy David wants to part with that ole nasty thing for for $5500 "as is", pm me.
:)

how much would give for mine?

• Members

Damn your selling that guitar for someone and are comming here for a price?:confused: That dude is {censored}ed. Do him a favor and tell him your out of your league with selling it and to get it appraised by someone who knows what the deal is.

• Members

Damn
your
selling that guitar for someone and are comming here for a price?
:confused:
That dude is {censored}ed. Do him a favor and tell him
your
out of your league with selling it and to get it appraised by someone who knows what the deal is.

"your" is actually spelled you're. 'You are' for short = you're. :thu:

comming = coming

This is Harmony-Central, correct? A guitar forum *looks around*

Shew--- thought I was in the wrong place there for a minute :wave:

Okay, now that we have established grammar and figured out that I am, in fact, in the right forums.... can we get back to talking about guitars, instead of judging other peoples selling capabilities and/or poor grammar skilz.

Even in law, Lawyers refer to previous cases to determine a particular outcome was, to gauge trial. Kind of the same thing I'm doing, gauging the market.

An appraisal doesn't mean we'll get 'X' if the going market isn't demanding that particular guitar. (ATM)

Just like an auto insurance appraisal doesn't mean that car is worth 'X' on the street market.

....nevermind :freak:

• Members

LOL...I was gettin excited till I saw your "edit"....if your buddy David wants to part with that ole nasty thing for for $5500 "as is", pm me.
:)

LOL.....I've got dibs on it before anybody else, but he'll never part with it. It was his dad's, and his dad died when he was a kid and didn't leave behind a whole lot.

David had the appraisal done in the summer of 1999, I believe, which now that I think about it is closing in on a decade ago (doesn't seem that long...I hate getting older), so prices have obviously changed.

YMMV.

• Members

"your" is actually spelled you're. 'You are' for short = you're.
:thu:

comming = coming

This is Harmony-Central, correct? A guitar forum *looks around*

Shew--- thought I was in the wrong place there for a minute
:wave:

Okay, now that we have established grammar and figured out that I am, in fact, in the right forums.... can we get back to talking about guitars, instead of judging other peoples selling capabilities and/or poor grammar skilz.

Even in law, Lawyers refer to previous cases to determine a particular outcome was, to gauge trial. Kind of the same thing I'm doing, gauging the market.

An appraisal doesn't mean we'll get 'X' if the going market isn't demanding that particular guitar. (ATM)

Just like an auto insurance appraisal doesn't mean that car is worth 'X' on the street market.

....nevermind
:freak:

Funny stuff.:lol::blah:

Here is some real advice............

Go on over to the Telecaster Discussion Forum and ask them about it. Make sure you take a {censored}load of detailed pictures that they can look at. The one you have on here really doesnt help at all.

• Members

Funny stuff.
:lol::blah:

Here is some real advice............

Go on over to the Telecaster Discussion Forum and ask them about it. Make sure you take a {censored}load of detailed pictures that they can look at. The one you have on here really doesnt help at all.

Noted-

I don't have the guitar here and that's not my picture... but I'll see about taking it in for an appraisal to that suggest place here in Michigan.

Thanks for all your help.

Archived