I'm torn... (strat replacement question)

asdfjkl semi

• Members

So here's the story:

My acoustic and my digital camera got stolen recently and I'm expecting some $1100 in insurance money to roll in soon. I've got a very nice MIM strat with vintage noiseless pups, fender locking tuners, and strap locks. It's now in need of new frets, so I'm torn between three options:

1. Spend the $125 on the fretwork, replace the acoustic (~$300), replace the camera.

2. Spend ~$300 or so on a Warmoth neck. Replace the acoustic. Keep the rest of the money.

3. Buy a new Fender MIA (~$1000) and move all the upgrades the the new guitar. I won't get another acoustic, but f-it, I'll have an MIA. Move the MIA parts to the Mexican, and sell that to get some money back.

(4). Maybe you have a better idea...

Please let me know what you'd do in my shoes.

EDIT: Or maybe I'll blow all the money and then some or try to negotiate for an American deluxe?

• Members

Did you get much use from the acoustic and the camera?

If they were just sitting and collecting dust, get yourself something you will use. If you really like to have a couple of instruments and a camera, upgrade the MIM and get an acoustic and a camera. It's really one of those "what do I use" issues. Go with what you will get the most use from.

• Members

a weekend of wine and women

Failing that. I, myself, would buy a new MIM neck for my strat on ebay. Ebay the take off neck, and probably be about in the same spot as when you started. For some reason people on ebay pay decent money for player worn necks, even if the frets are pretty used up.

• Members

Have you seen my pics? :freak:

Have you noticed how they don't look as good as they used to?

I "upgraded" from an ancient 1 megapixel Kodak (that I put together out of parts) to this new 8 megapixel gee whammy thing and I swear I can't think of anything it does better. Got a great deal $150, but it's poop. The camera pisses me off. It's not even usb 2.0 it's 1.1, so slow upload of pics. and you can only upload thru Kodak's godawful software. Now you know. :(

• Members

Have you seen my pics?
:freak:

Have you noticed how they don't look as good as they used to?

I "upgraded" from an ancient 1 megapixel Kodak (that I put together out of parts) to this new 8 megapixel gee whammy thing and I swear I can't think of anything it does better. Got a great deal $150, but it's poop. The camera pisses me off. It's not even usb 2.0 it's 1.1, so slow upload of pics. and you can only upload thru Kodak's godawful software. Now you know.
:(

I was just looking at new digi cams on target.com. Was thinking hard on the kodak, but was leaning toward the 8 MP Fuji.

• Members

Office Depot kills on prices. Check there FIRST. IN the store.

I'd get a Canon, even with what people say about the lens cover opening problem. My friend has a sureshot or something thats a few years old and it punks this Kodak V803 of mine.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, guys. I had a Canon 10D (DSLR), so if I were to replace that thing, I'd go for a 30D or a used 20D, since all my lenses are EF mount.

Sir Mike, I'm the president of the photo club at my college, so I have access to our high-end Nikons if I really need to use a camera. Mine was barely getting used twice a month before the theft. The Yamaha acoustic was getting used just about every other day, though. I really loved that thing.

Nevermind, I figure I'll probably wind up doing that if I replace the neck. I've still got the factory tuners to throw in with the neck, so I might be able to get a fair price to offset the cost of a new neck. By the way, getting another MIM neck is a pretty good idea. I had bought a brand new one for a guitar build on the 'bay for only about $125 or so.

Arkay, thanks for the link. I use to browse that site all the time back when I was deciding between the D70, D50, 10D, and 20D two or three years ago. I'd probably just grab a used 20D. Fast, solid camera.

Part of what's making me want to get an MIA strat is that I'm getting tired of the color of mine and it's also kinda hard to justify spending $125-300 for repairs or upgrades on an instrument now only worth about $200. The color thing is kind of a petty reason, but I don't have another guitar to play while I get into a refin project, and olympic white pearl is starting to look mighty sexy.

• Members

Sell MIM for $100, now you have $1200.

1. Buy new digital camera for $200

2. Buy used acoustic for $300

3. Buy used USA strat for $600

4. Buy a hooker with remaining $100

Now you have everything you need.

Words. I was hoping to pull 175-200 for the MIM if i sold it. How much do you think I could get a used Am deluxe for?

Archived