Tube amp recommendations?

eddidaz

• Members

I know this isn't the amp forum, but I tried there and didn't get too much help.

I currently play a G&L S-500 through a Vox AD30VT but I only really use the AC30 and Marshall Plexi (UK 70s) models, using the latter most of the time, and only reverb out of the effects.

I'm looking to upgrade to a small tube amp for something simpler that sounds sweeter. I love the sweet clean tone John Frusciante uses in the Chili Peppers, but I don't want a stack. Is there anything smaller that sounds similar?

I also use a fuzz and distortion pedal so don't need any high gain or more than one channel.

Any recommendations?

• Members

Vox AC15.It kicks ass. I might buy it myself. The Blues Junior with the eminence speaker (mentioned above) is pretty bad-ass. I like the Peavey Valve King 112, as well, but I think the Vox takes the cake (in my experience thus far). What about a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

• Members

The recommendations above are pretty good. My vote would be for either the Deluxe Reverb reissue or the Fender Blues Deluxe. If you want cheaper and smaller, I'd go for either the standard issue or special edition Blues Junior. But the "sweetest" amp I have is the Blues Deluxe, I'd take it over the Junior.

Roger

• Members

I posted these earlier--Gibson LP Historic thru a 99 Vox AC15TBX.

AC 15 TBX clean

AC 15 TBX Dirty

This amp has tube driven reverb and trem. The current AC 15 CC does not, and the cab looks like MFD to me even though Vox says they are all birch ply.

Anyway, I play through an AC15CCX (Celestion Blue) at my church. It's a workhorse and it sounds terrific--except for the trem and verb which are dodgy to my ears.

Still for the price, you'll get in the ballpark of the tones I posted above.

• Members

I'm trying to find a photo of my Orange AD15/12. I bought it for $800 from a guy on eBay. It is a great little amp with more drive than the AC15. The cleans are good--it does break up a bit earlier, but it apes a Marshall when cranked full up. Bullet proof too with a Celestion Vintage 30.

Pros--huge sounding crunch, tube rectifier for vintage feel, real birch ply cab gives it fantastic tone, loud enough for most barroom gigs, but very portable

Cons--slightly darker, not as chimey sounding as the Vox

• Members

I found the pics:

This thing just oozes with quality. The sheet metal amp is fully painted with enamel and enclosed; it has 8 and 16 ohm taps. You can see the quality of the plywood from one of the photos. The excellent pots are mounted to the chassis, not the pcb. The orange and black color scheme is tits, and who can resist the classy "Voice of the World" badge?

eeorange.jpg

orange.jpg

orange2.jpg

orange3.jpg

• Members

My suggestion is the Fender DeLuxe reverb reissue. At 22 watts it has cleans for a decent level, and they are a lot better than a Blues Junior or Vox AC15.

They sound like heaven driven into distortion for an added bonus.

Great choice for sure. But if you like the British sound...

I keep coming back to my Voxes, my Orange, and my little 18 watt Marshall handwired beast. Eventually, I'll get bit with the Blackface bug.

• Members

Ah! the AC15cc is definatly one of the best little combo amps for the money the rythm guitarist in my band just got one it has a single celestion blue speaker in it and it sounds way better then my Fender HotRod Deluxe which I changed the speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30, the only problem is the AC15 only has one channel which is rather {censored}e.. however there is solution the Vox Cooltron Big Ben Overdrive its got a tube in it and really does sound ace infact I bought one yesterday.... But anyway yeah it acts as your second channel.

• Members

good god that elliot easton looks nice!

Did you notice that I put some TV Jones Classics on that bad mofo? It's a great player with an amazing soft V neck that flattens out as you move up (boat neck?). Locking Sperzels and graphite nut. Amazing guitar. Too bad EE went over to Gibson.

• Members

I would say the '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue is your best bet. Its light, reasonably loud without being unreasonably loud, has that trademark chimey-clean, and takes pedals very well. I sold my Mesa Rectoverb 50 (also an excellent amp) to get one, and I haven't regretted it. I loves my DRRI!

• Members

Did you notice that I put some TV Jones Classics on that bad mofo? It's a great player with an amazing soft V neck that flattens out as you move up (boat neck?). Locking Sperzels and graphite nut. Amazing guitar. Too bad EE went over to Gibson.

did you notice the drool on my keyboard?:eek:

its odd that I dig this guitar because as a rule, I don't usually like:

Green guitars

Gold Hardware

Yet both look classy on this one. go figure.

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm not really into Orange, bit too heavy/dark for me.

After listening to some demos on youtube and stuff, the blues junior or tweed version maybe are looking nice. That's about the price/size range I reckon I'm going for as well. How big is the difference between these two? Do they sound anything like the models on the Valvetronix? (not sure specifically which amps they are, but I'm pretty sure there's a couple of Fenders in there)

• Members

"Must get the Mesa 5/25."

At least that is what the voice in my head keeps saying.

After reading the review in GP and listening to the clips on their website the voice inside my head is saying the same thing...

but softly so my wife won't hear :D

• Members

Ah! the AC15cc is definatly one of the best little combo amps for the money the rythm guitarist in my band just got one it has a single celestion blue speaker in it and it sounds way better then my Fender HotRod Deluxe which I changed the speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30, the only problem is the AC15 only has one channel which is rather {censored}e.. however there is solution the Vox Cooltron Big Ben Overdrive its got a tube in it and really does sound ace infact I bought one yesterday.... But anyway yeah it acts as your second channel.

Did you run out of breathe writing that? I ran out reading it. :wave::D

BTW, I using a Vox AC30CC1 and I do not miss the channel switching. Thought I would, but .... no. Takes pedals quite well. So I would think the AC15 would as well. Got to demo the BBO. Nice drive. Would certainly be a good choice as an OD for the Vox.

• Members

I've owned peavey Classic 30, Peavey Delta Blues, Fender Hot Rod Deluxes, Blues Deluxe, Blues Jr and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. The only one i still have is the Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I have compared them all side by side many times and the Peaveys were dirty even at low volumes and got dirtier. The Fender amps had more clean headroom but the overdrive channels were useless. The amp with the best cleans was the DRRI and at 22 watts I can actually turn this amp up enough to enjoy the tones without blowing out my windows. I always wanted a Twin reverb but who the hell needs 100 watts of tube power these days.

So there you have it, the rest is up to you.

Archived