Gibson Dirty Fingers?

rog951

• Members

Guys,

I've got a Faded V here that I recently put EMGs in. Turns out I don't really care for them in this guitar. SO, on a whim I bought this old Gibson p/u off Craigslist for $20. Turns out it's most likely a Dirty Fingers - it reads 16K, has no cover, has screw-type polepieces in both bobbins, and the guy said he took it out of an early '80s Explorer.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these pickups, especially in a V. I wanted aggression from this thing, but the EMGs were just too clear sounding to me. Even when playing with heavy distortion, the guitar sounded kinda "refined" for lack of a better term. I don't want tight and refined, I want RAW. At 16K, this thing oughta be a beast! :evil:

Is the down side of high-DC resistance loss of highs?

• Members

I have been reading up on Gibson pups recently. Seems that the DF is like other Gibson Ceramics, people either love or hate them. One HC review views the DF as being more "organic" than the 500T.

If you could, Post a report on how you like it once installed.

• Members

Guys,

I've got a Faded V here that I recently put EMGs in. Turns out I don't really care for them in this guitar. SO, on a whim I bought this old Gibson p/u off Craigslist for $20. Turns out it's most likely a Dirty Fingers - it reads 16K, has no cover, has screw-type polepieces in both bobbins, and the guy said he took it out of an early '80s Explorer.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these pickups, especially in a V. I wanted aggression from this thing, but the EMGs were just too clear sounding to me. Even when playing with heavy distortion, the guitar sounded kinda "refined" for lack of a better term. I don't want tight and refined, I want RAW. At 16K, this thing oughta be a beast!
:evil:

An early 80's Explorer should.ve had the 496R(neck) and the 500T(bridge) hb's. So,...which one of these could your p'up be?

I don't think they were Dirty Fingers back then. I could be wrong though. That 496/500 set also came with V's.

My 80 V has the 500T in the bridge and a SD (which one I'm not sure) at the neck.) The previous owner did the swap. They sound great to my ears.

• Members

An early 80's Explorer should.ve had the 496R(neck) and the 500T(bridge) hb's. So,...which one of these could your p'up be?

I don't think they were Dirty Fingers back then. I could be wrong though. That 496/500 set also came with V's.

My 80 V has the 500T in the bridge and a SD (which one I'm not sure) at the neck.) The previous owner did the swap. They sound great to my ears.

I didn't think so either but...

Here's a quote from a Gibson press release I found:

"The original Dirty Fingers pickups were available on just a few select models in the early 1980s, including the Flying V, Explorer, ES-347 and 335-S."

Also, something I found in the Seymour Duncan FAQ (re-formatted for clarity):

Pickup Model - Dirty Fingers

DC Ohms - 16.0k

Henries - 8.6

Res. Pk - 6.0k

Hum - Yes

There are no other pickups listed on Duncan's site that are even close to 16K so I'm pretty sure I've got a Dirty Fingers here.

• Members

I have been reading up on Gibson pups recently. Seems that the DF is like other Gibson Ceramics, people either love or hate them. One HC review views the DF as being more "organic" than the 500T.

If you could, Post a report on how you like it once installed.

Thanks. Will do!

• Members

I didn't think so either but...

Here's a quote from a
I found:

"The original Dirty Fingers pickups were available on just a few select models in the early 1980s, including the Flying V, Explorer, ES-347 and 335-S."

Also, something I found in the
(re-formatted for clarity):

Pickup Model - Dirty Fingers

DC Ohms - 16.0k

Henries - 8.6

Res. Pk - 6.0k

Hum - Yes

There are no other pickups listed on Duncan's site that are even close to 16K so I'm pretty sure I've got a Dirty Fingers here.

The double row of screws is a dead giveaway.

• Members

I had a set of DF's in an 80's 'The V'. They were great for screaming,dirty crunch.Not the most versatile of pickups,but they did exactly what they were made to do......RAWK!

Yes! That's what I wanted to hear! :rawk:

This V will not be used to play

! :lol:

• Members

The double row of screws is a dead giveaway.

That's what I thought when I went to see it. But then a guy I know said that some other Gibson ceramics might've had the double row screws as well. I think he was wrong though?

• Members

That's what I thought when I went to see it. But then a guy I know said that some other Gibson ceramics might've had the double row screws as well. I think he was wrong though?

That's the only Gibby model pup that I know of with the double adjustable rows. The 500T only has one row. BTW...measured my 500T for fun. Clocked in at 15.42K. I might put it back in my Explorer. It was a little too "tight" sounding (imo) but I kind of miss the power.

• Members

That's the only Gibby model pup that I know of with the double adjustable rows. The 500T only has one row. BTW...measured my 500T for fun. Clocked in at 15.42K. I might put it back in my Explorer. It was a little too "tight" sounding (imo) but I kind of miss the power.

Ahhh, I missed the 500T in the list on that Duncan page I linked above. Yup, it calls out 15.4K there and that's the next highest DC resistance shown for the more popular Gibby p/us. Looks like the Nighthawk had some high-resistance p/us as well!

I found it interesting that the bridge pos mini-hum in a Firebird is shown as 22K! I wouldn't have thought that'd be a high-output pickup! The must really use some thin-gauge wire for that one.

• Members

I've got a Dirty Fingers in the bridge of my SG. It's got a very gritty, edgy sound. It's a bit scooped for my preference. It's a good picking for rock and has enough output for the metal realm with a high gain amp.

That said, I don't really dig mine and I am currently trying to sell it!

• Members

Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these pickups, especially in a V. I wanted aggression from this thing, but the EMGs were just too clear sounding to me. Even when playing with heavy distortion, the guitar sounded kinda "refined" for lack of a better term. I don't want tight and refined, I want RAW. At 16K, this thing oughta be a beast!
:evil:

I had Dirty Fingers in my 83' Flying V and they do in fact ROCK.

They are very raw and also pretty dark sounding in the V.

I've since put them in one of my early 80's Destroyers and they were still pretty dark, so you may want to experiment with some different capacitors or one of those custom wiring sets from Guitarworks.

Archived