Musicians you really have no feelings about one way or the other

myshkin

• Members

Clapton, interestingly enough, is the one that first came to mind. I could build a pretty big list if I wanted to take the time.

Of course, when you're the only keyboard player in a town of guitar-oriented teenaged males in the mid-'70s you get used to the looks of bewilderment when you admit that you're just not that into the Zep or the 'Smith or any number of other arena guitar type situations.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by songrytr

Of course, when you're the only keyboard player in a town of guitar-oriented teenaged males in the mid-'70s you get used to the looks of bewilderment when you admit that you're just
not that into
the Zep or the 'Smith or any number of other arena guitar type situations.

;)

And I thought I was the only mid-late '70s keyboard player who wasn't into Led Zep (except for "JPJ on keyboard" tunes like "No Quarter"). I appreciate them more now than I did then.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

I think the same can be said about anything...

Press the Heartwarming Beautiful button

Press the {censored}kickin' Pickup Truck button

Press the "Crah in yore beer" button

Press the "Ain't Nobody's Gonna Beat My Car" button

Press the My N!99@$ Gonna Bust a Cap in Yo Ass button

Press the Cookie Monster Mosh button

Press the Angry Socially Conscious Protest button

Point being, music is about pushing people's buttons. That's what it's designed to do. Music is successful if it pushes buttons, in either a positive or negative way, if it achieves the effect desired of it's author...

My point, not very well made, is that it feels a very self-conscious kind of Press the Heartwarming Button thing, as opposed to your natural outpouring of whatever it is you have to put out there. It doesn't quite ring through for me.

• Members

No, I think I caught what you were getting at...and you've got a very valid point.

Mine was that basically, everytime we turn on the radio (or TV) someone is aiming to push our buttons, to make us feel some sort of emotion, whether it's about the songwriter's state of mind when he/she wrote the song, or some emotion about your new car, fabric softener, car insurance, whatever. And we can choose to allow which buttons someone else can or can't push, for the most part. And, IMO, a very basic part of human nature is to acknowledge those buttons which we wish to have pushed and at what time.

For example, a guy cruising the bars in his hot rod, looking for hot women, doesn't want his "cute puppies snuggling in sheets washed with Febreeze fabric softener" button to be pushed, and he'll fight that tooth and claw, but, if you want to push his "cruising the bars in my hot rod looking for hot women" button, well, that's cool. If it's an emotion we feel comfortable with, or one we wish to entertain at the time, we'll embrace that button...but if it's contrary to where we are at the time, we'll turn it off or make fun of it. And that's human nature, too...the guy cruising might well say "HAHA, yeah, we oughta use those damn fabric softener puppies for target practice"...not that he really wants to shoot puppies...the commercial just pushes a button he doesn't want to have pushed at the time. :D

And, I guess, in the context of this thread...if something pushes your buttons one way or the other, it doesn't qualify here.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

For example, a guy cruising the bars in his hot rod, looking for hot women, doesn't want his "cute puppies snuggling in sheets washed with Febreeze fabric softener" button, and he'll fight that tooth and claw, but, if you want to push his "cruising the bars in my hot rod looking for hot women" button, well, that's cool.

For some reason this made me think of Foreigner.

"I'm hot blooded...check it and see..."

Funny thing is...I remember doing much better with the girls with the schmaltzy stuff on the 8-track. Billy Joel or Chicago trumped Robert Plant and Steve Tyler anytime in that regard.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by songrytr

For some reason this made me think of Foreigner.

"I'm hot blooded...check it and see..."

Funny thing is...I remember
doing much better with the girls
with the schmaltzy stuff on the 8-track. Billy Joel or Chicago trumped Robert Plant and Steve Tyler
anytime
in that regard.

;)

PERFECT example, Song...

"Hot Blooded" would press the guy's (at least back in the early 80s) "Cruising looking for hot chicks" button. And, most guys, while looking for women, would have prefered to "bestudlify" themselves by having some macho music on...and then shifting to something a bit softer when the time was more appropriate.

Archived