the new danelectros: this just in

ilovemystrat

• Members

my dad called them the other day (i'm in japan no free 1800 numbers here)

he says and i quote directly from aim

"Re the Danelectro '59 Dano: it should get to the retail stores by the end of July. However, it is not going to be available in Japan as the distributer there has not ordered any. Sorry."

the retailers here will order them after i ask them :thu:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The new ones have individual adjustable saddles, rather than the non-adjustable wood block. I guess onbongos likes his guitars to play out of tune.
;)

I prefer the rosewood slab bridge, as well. I truly believe it lends to the Danelectro sound--and though I have sensitive (though not perfect) pitch--the guitars intonate extremely well.

A short while ago, BHH had many people salivating for resonators. Well, the biscuit resonator bridges intonate about 25% as well as the Dano bridge. (Yes, I made that percentage up, but it represents my experience with biscuit bridge resonators vs Danelectro rosewood bridges.)

The Dano rosewood bridge, IMO, is just as--if not more than--accurate as the standard wraparound bridge many of us prefer over Tuneomatics. I don't know why the guitars intonate as well as they do, but quite amazingly they do.

• Members

The bridge on the Pro's (as far as I can tell from the photos), is the Dano bridge they used on the 90's reissues - the U3 and DC3. Which means if you can find a replacement old style bridge, it will drop right in.

I did the reverse, I put the six saddle bridge on my U2. When I bought mine off eBay a few years back, I ordered the intonatable bridge at the same time, so I only played the rosewood style for about a week. Though I like the new bridge, I actually found the rosewood one better than what I had expected. I didn't try to intonate it, since I had the other bridge coming in, but I had no problem keeping it in tune. As far as tone... well I originally wanted a more modern sound, but now I kind of miss that "wooden" vibe. I sold my original bridge when I did the swap. Now I may actually keep an eye out for one to bring my Dano back to stock.

• Members

The bridge on the Pro's (as far as I can tell from the photos), is the Dano bridge they used on the 90's reissues - the U3 and DC3. Which means if you can find a replacement old style bridge, it will drop right in.

I did the reverse, I put the six saddle bridge on my U2. When I bought mine off eBay a few years back, I ordered the intonatable bridge at the same time, so I only played the rosewood style for about a week. Though I like the new bridge, I actually found the rosewood one better than what I had expected. I didn't try to intonate it, since I had the other bridge coming in, but I had no problem keeping it in tune. As far as tone... well I originally wanted a more modern sound, but now I kind of miss that "wooden" vibe. I sold my original bridge when I did the swap. Now I may actually keep an eye out for one to bring my Dano back to stock.

i just hope i get one for my birthday :wave:

new version or the old one... either will do

• Members

After Charlie Sexton (quite sadly) left Dylan's band, Freddy Koella stepped in. Koella was excellent, as well, though (Dylan should never have gotten rid of him), and he and Larry Campbell were the last great guitar duo in Dylan's band.

Anyway, Koella often played an original Danelectro, as can be seen in this video (first solo is at about the 2:20 mark). Campbell, on Telecaster, is also excellent. Be sure to check his playing out, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kWB0CicEn4

• Members

I think the rosewood bridges suck, but to each his own. I have a leftover rosewood I may be persuaded to part with. But it oozes vintage Dano vibe, so I would be looking for a premium price.

PS - Allparts and Danguitars sell the rosewood bridges as well

• Members

You know, I occasionally build electric guitars to entertain myself, and those Dano's look exactly like what I try to avoid-the 'home made' look.

Never played one, actually. Do they play better than they look?

Larry

The originals leave a bit to be desired but the re-issues are a pretty good platform for a descent guitar, if that's the type of guitar you're looking for. My first electric was a Silvertone strat knock-off I got of a local garage band for $35 - we're talking early '70's here. To some extent it was responsible for me pursuing art instead of music. It played horribly and sounded like junk. That said, knowing what I know now I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it again to see if I could make a descent player out of it.

The re-issues sort out quite a few of the problems with the originals. The necks are quite nice and the frets are in the right places - unlike the originals. And they have adjustable truss rods. Electronics are better, yet the lipsticks are true enough to the originals for rock and roll. I prefer the adjustable bridges on the new ones but wish they would start routing the body so you can adjust the truss rod without taking the neck off.

If you don't like the sound of lipsticks, you won't like Dano's. If you do and are prepared to put in some TLC, they are the best at what they do - unless you're willing to spring for a Jerry Jones. Expect to get a pro setup done with fret level/dress as part of the purchase price and you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Members

That could be the list price, not the street price. I'm hoping they'll be $199 street. $250 would even be acceptable.

Agreed. Functionality wise $200-$250 is all it's worth to me. Very cool looking though. I hope they make some in interesting colors.

• Members

I think the rosewood bridges suck, but to each his own. I have a leftover rosewood I may be persuaded to part with. But it oozes vintage Dano vibe, so I would be looking for a premium price.

PS - Allparts and Danguitars sell the rosewood bridges as well

Verne, you're a gentleman I truly respect, but here's an instance of wanting it both ways: "the rosewood bridges suck" but they "[ooze] vintage Dano vibe," so you'd want a premium price.

Do they suck or do they ooze? Are they worthless or priceless?

I guess they're both.

• Members

That could be the list price, not the street price. I'm hoping they'll be $199 street. $250 would even be acceptable.

I haven't seen a lower price than the 299, but usually nobody sells it for list. They are really cool looking but fret access does look like an issue. but for slide....hmmmmmm:cool:

Archived