Hi-Tech for Soundmen

Mr. Botch

• Members

Started reading this month's Keyboard magazine last night, and in his monthly column Mike McKnight was describing the soundchecks he went through for back-to-back short performances by Maria Carey, Sting, and Madonna (think I've heard of them). He said both the monitor and the FOH sound guys were given watches that had tiny hard drives in them, that had everyone's in-ear mix recorded for emergency backup!

:eek:

Damn, that's something I haven't heard of yet!

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Botch

Started reading this month's
Keyboard
magazine last night, and in his monthly column Mike McKnight was describing the soundchecks he went through for back-to-back short performances by Maria Carey, Sting, and Madonna (think I've heard of them). He said both the monitor and the FOH sound guys were given watches that had tiny hard drives in them, that had everyone's in-ear mix recorded for emergency backup!

:eek:
Damn, that's something I haven't heard of yet!

Links??

• Members

Lee, if I understood it correctly, yes, all the level for everyone's in ears were saved (both the FOH and monitor mixers were some all-digital things I've never heard of either.

Vilo, the new Keyboard isn't up on their website yet, but I poked around and it didn't look like Mike McKnight's columns were there. It should be on the newstand anytime now.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Super 8

Note to self: Must purchase cool techno watch.

Why use hard drives? I would think flashram would make much more sense for the amount of data they probably have to save. Easier on batteries and more durable as well, I'd bet.

Despite what the blurb says, no one would build a 64MB hard drive to put in a watch. I'm sure they meant the standard USB flash drive.

Terry D.

Archived