Should I mod my RG570?

Alchemist

• Members

Not a fan of EMGs, but I like H-H RGs. :thu:

Though, you are planning get like a "Swirl Jem" pickguard that goes around the pot nuts and switch, right? Otherwise that's a bitch and the switch never works right through the guitar's wood and a pickguard.

• Members

Not a fan of EMGs, but I like H-H RGs.
:thu:

Though, you are planning get like a "Swirl Jem" pickguard that goes around the pot nuts and switch, right? Otherwise that's a bitch and the switch never works right through the guitar's wood and a pickguard.

long shaft pots, and I'll get a longer switch, will have to be replaced anyway since the RG570 comes with a 5 position, and I will need a 3.....

but I will probably just hollow it out... since the pickguard is a permanent fixture anyways...

• Members

thats a hard one to call al, whats your gut say?

i have a cheap washburn i've been thing about refinishing ( to many black guitars, need a green one) but i just know the wood is gonna look like crap in a bottle. so i might check out how hard it would be to put a vaneer on it. if it's to hard maybe i'll ask someone here to do it for me.

• Members

Ibanez painted those a solid color for a reason, they be basswood!

However pleasing to the ear they are not nice to look at unfinished.

Now if you really wanted a project, build another body for it out of some nice ribbon mahogany or swamp ash and leave it with a natural finish!:thu:

Then if you want to defile it EMG's that up to you, Punk:wave:

• Members

Ibanez painted those a solid color for a reason, they be basswood!

However pleasing to the ear they are not nice to look at unfinished.

Now if you really wanted a project, build another body for it out of some nice ribbon mahogany or swamp ash and leave it with a natural finish!
:thu:

Then if you want to defile it EMG's that up to you, Punk:wave:

I've seen some that were sanded down to natural, and they were actually very nice underneath.... and some that looked like poplar:freak: Its a tough call. I am still thinking about it, but if I do this, I think I may just take it to my luthier (yes luthier, hes not just a tech, I believe he worked for Taylor, and now does G&L service work) and have him do it for me, custom pickguard, routing and all.

As far as the EMG's, I dont like them either, but I'd like to have a set on hand for recording purposes, sometimes they work well when you need that kind of tone.

• Members
I've seen some that were sanded down to natural, and they were actually very nice underneath.... and some that looked like poplar:freak: Its a tough call. I am still thinking about it, but if I do this, I think I may just take it to my luthier (yes luthier, hes not just a tech, I believe he worked for Taylor, and now does G&L service work) and have him do it for me, custom pickguard, routing and all.

As far as the EMG's, I dont like them either, but I'd like to have a set on hand for recording purposes, sometimes they work well when you need that kind of tone.

Why not just stick an EMG SC in the middle and save yourself a lot of trouble?

• Members

Why not just stick an EMG SC in the middle and save yourself a lot of trouble?

I tend to hit the SC with my pick when I play, though its not as bad on my 1570. I guess I can get an EMG SC and see how comfortably I can seat it in there...

• Members

I don't really like that middle pickup-it's where I pick, too.

AFA EMG's, well, to each his own. But I'd leave it a solid color just in case it's like my SZ320 was underneath:

IbanezNekkidFront.jpg

Oh, and leave the five way switch and set it for coil tapping in the 2 and 4 positions, if good sense prevails and you go with two passives. :D

Larry

• Members
I tend to hit the SC with my pick when I play, though its not as bad on my 1570. I guess I can get an EMG SC and see how comfortably I can seat it in there...

If that doesn't work, install a "dummy" sc cover and screw it down tight against the body. No more intrusion :thu:

• Members

I bought a 550 back when I was a lad and in was en vogue to neon orange guitars, I ended up sanding the finish off when it started to chip off, and had to repaint a solid color because of the horrendous looking wood underneath.

Not full of knots or anything but ugly uneven grain patterns.:mad:

how bout a nice veneer top?

Archived