Need opinions BHH and other Reverend Fans

nuke_diver

• Members

When I brought my acoustic in for repair on the weekend (big hole in the side that's another story) the luthier had this in his shop

manta_ray_hb_fm.jpg

I pretty much fell in love with it but I was good and didn't buy it on the spot (I don't tend to do impulse buying). I got home and told my wife about it and :eek: she said I should get it (I thought I was on a 4 guitar limit :D). So ever since I've been thinking about it and whether or not (a) I would get use out of another guitar as I am only a hobbist (b) what other guitars compare to this and are these really that great a deal or are there other comparible guitars. I believe these are $599 per the agreement with Reverend. Mostly I'm interested in hearing your opinions on (b), whether I need another one is up to me (since actually I don't need one but kind of want it). Also how would it compare to my Blackout Tele that I have (2 SD humbuckers) would it be similar in tone and thus render that guitar somewhat obsolete in my stable?

Thanks

• Members

I'm fixated on the very same guitar, but have not actually played one. My understanding is that Manta Rays come with either humbuckers or P-90s. The nearest dealer from me (one hour away) said that humbucker versions will not ship again until late summer/early fall.

Next time you're in the shop, you could ask the guy if he'll throw in the Reverend case if you buy the guitar right then and there...that would be a $100+ value.

• Members

Black Hat Hunter cut his thumb so he can't play...you'd think he'd be posting all day long. :blah:

The one I played briefly had Humbuckers. I would prefer them over P90's I think since the single coil sound I have covered already. I wasn't playing it with the purpose of buying it but just to see what it was like. Never plugged it in but acoustically it seemed pretty nice. From a feel standpoint it felt great very comfortable.

Good idea MisterTV...it wouldn't be an impulse buy then and it would be a good deal

• Members

I should smack you, hard. If the wife says you should get a new guitar, dammit, go get that new guitar. Quick, before she changes her mind. Ask any other questions later...:D

Seriously, it looks sweet, I think I would hop on it. Or look for another Reverend you might want even more. I would go with a P-90 Reverend, but that's just me.

• Members

If you like it.....go for it. I just played that one yesterday and it didn't really do much for me. I am struggling with my next rev purchase as well. Its going to be a natural finished volcano or a Warhawk 390. The p90s sounded really nice but the V looks cool as crap.

It it looks good to you and feels good, sounds good too? well then I think you have a winner. if you already have the humbucker territory covered, why not look at a reverend with p90s or revtrons?

• Members

I'd say play it and compare it to other guitars in the price range by Fender Mexico, Epiphone, Gibson (faded SG et al), Schecter and Ibanez. :idea:

FWIW I've got a Korean Reverend due to ship maybe next week... on paper at least it's mighty impressive. You'd know more about it than me, though, as apparently you've actually been able to put your mitts on it.

• Members

How much different are P90's from Strat like single coils

I have a strat as well as the HH Tele. I was looking at the Manta Ray primarily because it was a semihollow (which I don't have) and because it looked very good in the shop. They had only a few Reverends there a couple of Warhawks I think and maybe a Volcano but I don't remember too much cause I only looked at the Tobacco burst ones

The store doesn't have a lot of guitars in it. A number of custom made ones that he builds himself which are in the 1600+ range and a few other odds and ends. There might have been 30 guitars total in there (including basses and acoustics), not a big selection to compare the Reverend against.

• Members

I haven't played any of the import Revs, but I am absolutely hooked on my USA models. Reverends are an incredible bang-for-your-buck guitar purchase, so if the wife says yes I say you should listen to her. (And let her talk some sense into my wife!)

• Members

How much different are P90's from Strat like single coils

There's a fair amount of variety among P90s these days... different voicings, different magnets, etc. etc, so it really kind of depends on which P90 you're talking about. In the main, though, they're best described as somewhere between a strat pickup and a humbucker: much hotter than a strat pup and prone to dirty up an amp easily, but with more single- coil chime and clarity (and hum) than your typical humbucker.

I currently have a very cheap strat copy with two p90s in it, and when people ask me what it sounds like I say it sounds like a really muscular strat with a tendency towards vintage-y tones. The pickups in it are dirt- cheap Chinese ceramics that, through luck or the grace of God, have some pretty nice sounds in them.

The store doesn't have a lot of guitars in it. A number of custom made ones that he builds himself which are in the 1600+ range and a few other odds and ends. There might have been 30 guitars total in there (including basses and acoustics), not a big selection to compare the Reverend against.

In my opinion, at the $600 dollar price point and based on what I've been able to play in local (US) retail stores, two of the big winners for build quality these days are Schecter and Yamaha. Those brands are the standard against which I measure $600 guitars at the moment. If you can find one of those around town and the Rev stacks up with it then by my lights you've found a winner; others may disagree, of course.

And then there's the fact that ultimately if you like it $600 worth then it's the axe for you. :thu:

• Members

From the guy that owns the store, yah I know he's selling them so take it with a grain of salt but he's been very honest in my dealings with him so I think it a interesting observation. He also makes and sells his own guitars (starting at about 1600 or so)

I am so impressed with Reverend guitars that I have ordered the full line- 30 guitars! I can't keep them in stock otherwise. I love the unique designs that are functional as well as great looking. Honestly, there is no guitar under $1000.00 that can touch these instruments, and many of these are under $500.00. The US made guitars have been discontinued, and while they were very good guitars, these Korean built guitars are not much of a step down in quality. In fact, they were so impressive that he wasn't selling many of the US series any more, and this is why he decided it was fruitless to make guitars here.

The Koreans are making some very good guitars now. Reminds me of the Japanese guitars from the 80's, which may be some of the best factory guitars made and have become very collectable.

I feel that I need to carry guitars that are good quality, so that I can feel comfortable selling them as a repair facility. Any new guitar that is bought comes with my in-store warranty, so I must offer guitars that won't have problems.

We're selling about 2 guitars a day. If you would like me to hold this one until you can get down and play it, give the store a call and Jim will do it for you.

Archived