Strings?

process.sherpa

• Members

Uh ... why not just buy a new set? They're relatively inexpensive.

I have bought a few different sets, but I can't find the exact size. They just don't feel as right, and with some I'm getting too much feedback. That's what made me start wondering if other brands had the color coding, too.

• Members

I have bought a few different sets, but I can't find the exact size. They just don't feel as right, and with some I'm getting too much feedback. That's what made me start wondering if other brands had the color coding, too.

Okay. I can go with the "They just don't feel as right". That's why there are SO many different brands, sizes (gauges), windings, etc. But I've never heard of the strings themselves causing feedback. Generally that's an electronics problem - too much gain, squealing pickup, bad tube, standing facing the amp, things like that. What guitar are you talking about? And is it new? Or perhaps new to you?

• Members

The god news is that a few other brands also do colour-coded end beads, though I can't recall which. The bad news is each company's colour-coding is different, so unless you know in front what brand the strings are, the colour-coding won't be much help.

• Members

Okay. I can go with the "They just don't feel as right". That's why there are SO many different brands, sizes (gauges), windings, etc. But I've never heard of the strings themselves causing feedback. Generally that's an electronics problem - too much gain, squealing pickup, bad tube, standing facing the amp, things like that. What guitar are you talking about? And is it new? Or perhaps new to you?

Yeah, it's mostly just a feel thing, although fatter E strings do feed back more (epi hollowbody - might need to change the pickup - with a fat E string it starts "singing" into feedback just from holding a note at normal/medium volumes).

I honestly didn't think it would make much difference, so I just got what I thought they probably used, or close enough not to matter. I was surprised at how much difference it did make, though. The ones I tried were XL115W and EJ20, but neither had exactly the same feel. I could get used to them, but the ones on there just feel so perfect that I'd really like to find out what they are. To be honest, it's also kind of bugging me a little just out of curiosity, like WTF are these strings, anyway? :mad: Do they mix and match them at the factory, or what? :p

I'll just keep trying, as long as I know that they're d'addario, it should make it easier. Maybe they did mix and match them, b/c there's nothing else really close to the sizes of those two with the wound G.

• Members

The god news is that a few other brands also do colour-coded end beads, though I can't recall which. The bad news is each company's colour-coding is different, so unless you know in front what brand the strings are, the colour-coding won't be much help.

Hmm, okay, maybe they are a different brand, then. I've also got a pack of Gibsons here, but I haven't opened them yet. I thought it would make sense that Epi would use Gibson strings, so if these are color coded, it might be them. I'll check tonight, thanks.

• Members

were they strings that came on a new guitar? more then likely if they were they were d'addarios, most stock strings are 9-46, altough there maybe some difference, idk about hollowbodies they may use thinker strings. Maybe consider calling d'addario and asking about there sizing on different guitars thatuse them stock:idk:

Archived