Recommend me new tubes for my PV C50/212

woodsmandan

• Members

I asked on the amp forum but it sank like a stone...

Then I remembered the love for C50 around here so here I am...

I want more gain out of the clean channel, I want less headroom if you will. Basically, I want some crunch out of the clean channel at lower volume, if it's possible. I don't know where to begin...change the 12AX7's ? wich ones ? change the EL84's ? and for what brand/model of tubes ?

I saw a thread like that a while back, but with search disabled, you will forgive me for asking again :D

• Members

Go to www.dougstubes.com and send him an email. Tell him exactly what you want and he'll tell you exactly what he thinks you'll like.

I just got some tubes for my Classic 30 from him. I told him what I wanted and what I didn't want. He made some suggestions. I ordered what he suggested. I'm very pleased with the results.

His prices are pretty good too.

• Members
Go to
www.dougstubes.com
and send him an email. Tell him exactly what you want and he'll tell you exactly what he thinks you'll like.

I just got some tubes for my Classic 30 from him. I told him what I wanted and what I didn't want. He made some suggestions. I ordered what he suggested. I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks for the link !

• Members
Go to
www.dougstubes.com
and send him an email. Tell him exactly what you want and he'll tell you exactly what he thinks you'll like.

:thu:
He hooked me up a great mix of tubes that he suggested. Nailed what I was looking for.

• Members

I retubed mine with Tungsol 12ax7's and JJ's el84's. I'm really happy with the results. I ordered mine from thetubestore.com. But, there's a lot of good reviews for Doug'stubes.

What are the differences with those tubes compared with the originals ?

• Members

If its in your budget, grab a couple extra pres of different makes and try them out in the different positions. You can drastically change the character of your amp by doing this, and you may stumble across a combination that you like. I have tung sol 12ax7 in the first two slots and a JJ 12ax7 in the tube that drives my reverb.

• Members

I could be wrong, but I don't think the reverb is tube driven.

I think it's V1, V2, Phase Inverter, then power tubes.

I'm sure you could get a more informed answer either from Peavey's website or from their message board.

• Members

If you want less headroom and more early breakup, definitely consider the JJ's for the 12AX7's before anything else over the counter. With the JJ's up front you should consider TAD's for the EL84's. Then don't forget to set the bias!

• Members

Then I remembered the love for C50 around here so here I am...

I want more gain out of the clean channel, I want less headroom if you will. Basically, I want some crunch out of the clean channel at lower volume, if it's possible. I don't know where to begin...change the 12AX7's ? wich ones ? change the EL84's ? and for what brand/model of tubes ?

Hey. I own a C50 212 and love it a lot.

Go to the EuroTubes web site. They use mostly JJ tubes, which are the bestest, IMO. Eurotubes has preconfigured full retube packages for the C50 that are cheap AND use JJ tubes. The best part is that they provide about 5 or 6 separate options for different goals: standard, blues option, normal clean with high gain lead, rock with high gain, low gain, and so forth. Very fancy, and many years of experience with all the Classic Peavey amps, including the 20, 30, 50, Delta and Bravo.

They create different characteristics by varying the TYPE of tube in the V1, V2, V3 slots and by varying the GRADE of EL84 in the power tube slots. Very cool, they have it down to a science.

You don't have to select one of the preconfigured packages; you can actually tell the guy what your goal is, and he'll select the best tube combination to reach that goal.

Plus ...they have a super nice screen print T-Shirt for $15. A must for any serious T-shirt collection.

Here's the link: https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=33

Archived