LIVEWIRE METAL vs. INVADER

alekke

• Members

Fill me up with links and suggestions if I missed something (search doesnt work)

but I need to decide between these 2 pups!

I need tight aggressive middly pup for my engl 530 (cleans are excluded).

Pup mustn't have too much highs, but must have enough output (ala emg 81) ... hi-middle freqs are in the game.

Palm mutes must cut through like a knife but still remain clean and metallic.

It must be organic, and it must be one of these two!

I like Carnal Forge and Meshuggah sound!

help!

thnx

• Members

the livewire is going to give a little better cut through on the palm mutes than the invader because you need that little stretch of sharpness that the livewire has over the invader so that it doesnt mud up the cut off like the invader will.

The current guit that I am working on for myself has all SEYMOUR's in it. It has a PHAT CAT in the bridge for down low tone. It has a GEORGE LYNCH SCREAMIN DEMON in the center and it has a SSL-3 HOT in the neck with 3 concentric pots for volume and tone for each PUP. PLUS I am using a EMG AFTERBURNER.

HOPE this helps..........................:wave:

• Members

I know that this will sound stupid, but my new pup must have a nice design along with the best possible sound.

I hate that classic hum design with silver dots that go rusty in a year! My emg looks the same 8 years after I bought it, and it sounds good!

So, you say duncan distortion? This is what they about livewire: "After introducing the Classic LiveWire

• Members

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of guitar? What kind of body, neck and fretboard wood? I haven't used LiveWires before, so my only experience with active pickups is EMGs. I currently have two identical guitars, one with an EMG 81 (wired 18 volts) in the bridge and another with an Invader. I was planning to record with the EMG-equipped guitar, but I just couldn't get rid of the harsh, grainy high end without drastic EQ tweaking. I didn't have any sort of expectations with the Invader, and actually had no intention of using it for recording with it, but it sounded awesome. Very full mids and just the right amount of treble, and none of the overbearing low end "wump" I was dreading.

That was in basswood guitars, playing in standard tuning, but that's my impression. However, I have read that LiveWires sound nothing like EMGs, and I can't say one way or the other whether Invaders would sound muddy at lower tunings. The guitar materials will make a big difference though.

• Members

my guitar is made from agathis (it's indonezia mahagony) with flamed mapple top. Mapple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

My tune is standard B with 0.13-0.56 d'addarios.

Thing is that a lot of people say: don't put invader on mahagony, and don't downtune with invader. But it's nice that it's poorer on highs than EMG.

livewire is poorer on highs too but not like invader.

(this is what I read)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived