SX Guitars: Tele copies any good?

killerbeez

• Members

Normally I'd have done a search for this, but so be it. I have a few bucks to blow on a cheap tele. The squires can be ok, but the SX's are available where I can use credit card points to buy it....basically free. If anyone has one please weigh in both good and bad. Thanks, Dave

• Members

I know - the search being down because there are several good threads on this recently.

But...

I owned one. Overall they are a great deal for the money..

Pluses: Great necks

Jumbo Frets (if you like those)

Decent quality wood

Incredible price

Good platforms for modding

Minus: Cheap hardware (but usable)

Pickups are pretty weak (again - usable though)

Uneven quality - especially the finishing work on the frets

Bridge not compatible with replacements (without work)

I would put them on the same level as the Fender Affinity Telecaster with a better neck. Mine was better than an Affinity, but others have not had that same experience. I think they are well worth the money, and a few people here have modded them into very nice guitars...

• Members

I'd post a link, but it's too inconvenient without search. I liked mine okay when I got it, but it wasn't until a second mod phase that I really warmed up to it (beware: the new bridge was not a direct drop in). Now it's the bees knees. :thu:

The potential is really there, but if you need to pay somebody to do your mods, your money might be better spent elsewhere...I'm just sayin'. :blah:

Here's a couple pics:

DSC_1297.jpg

DSC_1295.jpg

DSC_1296.jpg

• Members

Axegrinder,

Did you round off the tip of the Headstock?(looks good!) ..if so what did you use to refinish that area w/amber tint?

I'd post a link, but it's too inconvenient without search. I liked mine okay when I got it, but it wasn't until a second mod phase that I really warmed up to it (beware: the new bridge was not a direct drop in). Now it's the bees knees.
:thu:

The potential is really there, but if you need to pay somebody to do your mods, your money might be better spent elsewhere...I'm just sayin'.
:blah:

Here's a couple pics:

DSC_1295.jpg
DSC_1296.jpg

• Members

You can read all about mine and the mods I made to it here:

sweet looking guitar after the mods. Doesn't sound like it would be too difficult or expensive to tweak one of these into something that played well. The bridge mod doesn't sound too off the charts to pull off. I've never done fretwork before, but a $109 guitar is a good one to use as a test. Sweet thing is that my credit card rewards will pay for all of it. I can see a blonde or baby blue Sx in my near future!

• Members

Axegrinder,

Did you round off the tip of the Headstock?(looks good!) ..if so what did you use to refinish that area w/amber tint?

Yeah I just rounded it off in two spots. It looks like minitruth may have done that too. :idk:

Anyway I used Zinnser (or is it zinsser?) Bullseye Shellac (amber tinted) for color and tung oil for clear protection. The shellac was cut with 50% denatured alcohol. For the small areas involved, a color match was not crucial or difficult.

• Members

Yeah I just rounded it off in two spots. It looks like minitruth may have done that too.
:idk:

Anyway I used Zinnser (or is it zinsser?) Bullseye Shellac (amber tinted) for color and tung oil for clear protection. The shellac was cut with 50% denatured alcohol. For the small areas involved, a color match was not crucial or difficult.

Thanks man! ..I'm interested in trying it..and it does look great! ..looks like they carry Zinsser Bullseye Shellac at Lowes and HD..

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=31

Thanks again!

• Members

Yeah I just rounded it off in two spots. It looks like minitruth may have done that too.

Not that anyone asked, but it *is* possible to shape an agile/sx headstock to look almost exactly like a tele headstock - I'm talking 99% the way there.

I did it on my Agile TC-630 (among other things) and people keep asking where I got it (I used a pdf file from somewhere on the web that contains a 1:1 mechanical drawing of the correct tele headstock shape). One of my friends nearly traded me straight up for his Les Paul Vintage Mahogany...

• Members

Not that anyone asked, but it *is* possible to shape an agile/sx headstock to look almost exactly like a tele headstock - I'm talking 99% the way there.

I did it on my Agile TC-630 (among other things) and people keep asking where I got it (I used a pdf file from somewhere on the web that contains a 1:1 mechanical drawing of the correct tele headstock shape). One of my friends nearly traded me straight up for his Les Paul Vintage Mahogany...

I figured it could be done. I didn't do it for two reasons:

1. If I had half a logo on the face of the headstock, I'd have to remove and refinish the entire thing...total pain in the ass.

2. I wanted to keep the original badging because for some strange reason I like it. :freak:

• Members

I have an SX tele I'm very happy with and plan to get another if they haven't sold out of it by the time my birthday rolls around in a few months.

With just about any guitar, at any price, there always some things that could be changed, but the two SX guitars I have now, I have been very happy with stock.

• Members

Nope, that's the stock headstock. Pic was taken right out of the box. Maybe

it's the camera angle?:confused:

• Members

I'm diggin' mine, but I'm no Tele expert. I can tell you it has a wonderfully comfortable neck and holds tune well, and the pickups aren't terrible. The bridge seems fine to me, I hear about a lot of people saying the bridge has to go right away but I think if you like modern Tele bridges with six saddles and such then it'll most likely be fine. Mine intonated fine and the height adjustment screws on the saddles hold, and overall it seems to be solid to me. Maybe I just have less refined tastes when it comes to Teles, I know a lot of guys want three brass saddles or nothing and that's cool, but the stock bridge seems to do it's job just fine to me.

I haven't replaced any parts on it other than the nut, but I did do that and a complete fret level and dress and the frets needed a lot of work. I can't say that all of them will, but this one certainly did. Doesn't matter to me as I do my own fret work these days, but if you're not set up to do that it can be a deal breaker.

But then again, with the Rondo return policy being so good it's practically zero risk.

Also bear in mind that the colors on the site might not look like the thing does in person. Compare the stock photo of the maple board vintage white, which I find to not be very appealing (looks almost like a peach tint on the body, and the neck looks so dark it's almost grungy):

stl50vwh1.jpg

...and the actual guitar I have, which I think is quite lovely looking and classy:

Telewhole.jpg

Telebody.jpg

Telelong.jpg

If you're wondering why I bought one when the stock photo didn't appeal to me, it's because I bought mine used from another forumite and saw pictures of how nice it looked prior to the sale.

All in all I think the SX Teles are pretty cool. They're good mod platforms but they're not all that bad stock. There's not a whole lot to get wrong on a Tele, that's part of why they're so cool. :thu:

• Members

Um... Link?

Archived