PRS?

Mikex21

• Members

Originally he was playing EGs, the first version. This was during a transition away from the Signature guitars with the Evans pickups and Floyds he'd been using. Next it was CEs with the original alder bodies and then he put single coils, Evans I believe, in the HB routed pickup cavities (at least the for the bridge, with filler to avoid that empty look). They were the 24 fret necks prior to the advent of the 22fret guitars, so the designation wasn't actually CE-24. Later he played some maple topped CE-24s that looked pretty stock. I'm not sure if they featured the original alder bodies or were after the change over to mahogany. Later he did use some Single Cuts as well, before going back to the Gibsons.

Apparently Geddy has been bugging him for years to get back to playing Gibsons, especially his old ones and specifically Les Pauls. It seems that Alex listened and their new producer also favored the sound. So he's back using Gibbies.

I enjoy his sounds on everything they've ever recorded. From his Gibsons (Pauls, ESs, Howard Roberts), the Fenders (modded and stock strats and Teles), the Signatures (actual guitar company name), the PRSs, and back to Gibsons. He's got a Tele that's always used on every recording and has had several other high-end Strat and Tele copies hat he's used here and there. It's all sounded good to me. There are certain eras in their history that I've preferred as far as the actual music is concerned, but his sound has always be great and always compliments the music.

Archived