Anybody else like the tone of their stock Squier

Jacked

• Members

Affinity Series Tele p'ups? I just picked one up used, a 98 model, and...

I like the tone of the stock pups!!* Am I insane? What's your opinion of these?

(I know that if I like it and rock it that's all that matters, still, want to hear if anybody else was satisfied with them stock.)

If you weren't, what p'ups did you replace them with?

Thanks

*One caveat, I haven't played it at full band volume yet.

• Members

I was surprised of how much I like the tone on my '51. Yes, it's become almost cliched to praise this guitar, but the tone really has quite a bit of character for such an inexpensive axe.

+1

I bought a '51 thinking I was gonna trick it out, but to be honest, I really dig the sounds coming out of it as it is, after a good setup.

It sounds great through my Epi Valve Jr Head.

• Members

Affinity Series Tele p'ups? I just picked one up used, a 98 model, and...

I like the tone of the stock pups!!* Am I insane? What's your opinion of these?

(I know that if I like it and rock it that's all that matters, still, want to hear if anybody else was satisfied with them stock.)

If you weren't, what p'ups did you replace them with?

Thanks

*One caveat, I haven't played it at full band volume yet.

I bought my Affinity tele because it was only $118 (Sam Goody clearance sale) and I wanted to try a tele. The Bridge pup was about what I expected, tele twangy :thu:, but the sweetness of the neck pup still knocks my socks off! :eek::love: I play mostly clean and this guitar rewards me with wonderful tone every time I pick it up! BTW, this is with .009s, I also have an SX STL50 strung with .010s that I replaced the neck pup with a GFS Vintage Alnico trying to get the Affinity's sweetness... it improved the tone but still doesn't quite match the Affinity.

• Members

I too bought a 51 expecting to mod the hell out of it, but I like it so much stock that I just left it alone. Sounds great with all possible combinations.

I did have a '98 Squier Affinity Strat that sounded like ass with the stock pups. Some SD Hot Rails fixed that problem!

• Members

Ive got a really old squier strat that was suburst, but i stripped it right down and gave it a thin coat of daphne blue. i have always loved its tone, and it seems to be getting better with age. the pickups have flat pole pieces and have mellowed out nicely, have always been impressed with the neck pup - in fact since i re-wired it to a tele style set up, it sounds awesome with bridge and neck together!!!!

got an 05' standard strat with 2 piece maple neck that sounded gorgeous right off the bat. only changes i made were some gotoh tuners and a 4th trem spring, but only cos i had them to spare anyway. the pups have staggered pole pieces , and i believe most of the pups squier use are alnico these days.

despite what some peeps say, there are some pretty decent squiers to be had out there!!!

:thu:

Archived