So I'm thinking about piecing together a tele

rememberduane

• Members

I've been researching it a bit, and I think I'm going to order a tele body and neck from Musikraft. This is a bit in the future, but I want to plan it out right for a guitar that will be with me forever.

I'm thinking the body will be one piece swamp ash, routed for strat single coils in the neck and middle and a standard tele bridge. It would also have arm and tummy contours.

The neck and fingerboard will be one piece of Madagascar Kingwood (dark rosewood) for sustain and high end smoothness, with skinny/tall stainless frets (.090 wide x .055 tall), a fat D neck carve, and a 10" fingerboard radius.

I'd throw some locking tuners on there and a graphite nut. I'd go for top shelf electronics, just utilizing simple 5-way switching, nothing fancy.

I'd use Lindy Fralin Blues Specials all the way through, neck, RWRP middle, and tele bridge w/ bassplate.

I'd finish it all in TruOil, a few coats, then assemble and get it set up for 12's.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Sounds good. The Musikraft bodies look very nice.

I don't think locking tuners are necessary unless you just want them for the convenience factor when changing strings.

BTW, I'm a big fan of P90 neck pups in a Teles. You might want to consider it.

• Members

Thanks man... I'm considering getting the neck routed for a bucker just so I can drop a minibucker in there at a later date. Any reason for not getting the belly contour, or just personal preference?

I definitely will post pics along the way!

If you don't contour the front, it'll look like a regular tele, but feel like a strat against the ribs (best of both worlds).

Try a p90 in the neck. It's a great tele neck pickup sound.

There's virtually no difference in tone between one or two piece swamp ash bodies. In fact, the smaller piece required to make a two-piece body means you're more likely to get a light, resonant piece, since the builder has more to choose from. BTW, you'll want to consider a compound radius neck. They're much nicer to play on the higher frets.

Have you looked into USACG? In my experience, they make exceptional necks. Never played a Musikraft, but the best neck I've ever played is a USACG neck (HCEG Thinline in my sig).

FWIW, Musikraft stuff is regularly available here: http://stores.ebay.com/Jamerson-Guitars_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

One more suggestion: Callham hardware. Don't even think of going for less than the best on an instrument of that caliber.

• Members

I will definitely use Callham hardware, and top of the line electronics. I'll take a look at USACG. Will they do me a one-piece rosewood neck for a reasonable price?

I'm specifically getting the strat neck/middle because I want strat positions 1-2-3, and then I'm going to wire up 4 to be neck/bridge like the tele middle position, and 5 obviously will be full tele bridge.

I'll probably take your advice on the two piece swamp ash body. It's $50 cheaper, and you're right... I probably will end up with two superior pieces of wood compared to one acceptable one.

I'll think about a compound radius neck, but I'm fairly certain my favorite tele neck, an early 90's ASAT, was a straight 9.5". I'll definitely go play a few compound radius necks and see what I think though.

Oh, and for pete -- I prefer locking tuners because I bend the {censored} out of 12 gauge strings... I like the peace of mind knowing I have the tuning stability.

• Members
Thanks man... I'm considering getting the neck routed for a bucker just so I can drop a minibucker in there at a later date. Any reason for not getting the belly contour, or just personal preference?

I definitely will post pics along the way!

Well, I could take or leave the "belly" contour. If it's there thats cool, if not that's cool too. As an option....ehh...:idk:

I would without a doubt get a front contour if I was building a "Parts-O'-Tele". It's just too comfortable an option to pass on.:D It really is.

Mini-Humbuckers are cool. I think they are making a bit of a comback. They are really fun to have on a guitar (imo).

Ya, What Warrior' was saying about the compound rad' necks...def' worth a consideration. They are nice(imo).

• Members

I will definitely use Callham hardware, and top of the line electronics. I'll take a look at USACG. Will they do me a one-piece rosewood neck for a reasonable price?

I'm specifically getting the strat neck/middle because I want strat positions 1-2-3, and then I'm going to wire up 4 to be neck/bridge like the tele middle position, and 5 obviously will be full tele bridge.

I'll probably take your advice on the two piece swamp ash body. It's $50 cheaper, and you're right... I probably will end up with two superior pieces of wood compared to one acceptable one.

I'll think about a compound radius neck, but I'm fairly certain my favorite tele neck, an early 90's ASAT, was a straight 9.5". I'll definitely go play a few compound radius necks and see what I think though.

Oh, and for pete -- I prefer locking tuners because I bend the {censored} out of 12 gauge strings... I like the peace of mind knowing I have the tuning stability.

USACG is very reasonable for what they do, which is a lot of hand-finish work on top of the cookie-cutter machine. I prefer them over Warmoth, for example, because of the extra attention that goes into their necks. What you get from USACG is, essentially, a superior neck that is ready to bolt up sans nut.

They don't have exotic/ unusual necks listed, but will give you a quote within a day or two, usually.

re: multi-radius,

The thing about a multi-radius neck is that it feels completely natural to play. the lower frets chord easier and the uppers are easier to play single-note runs on. They also fret out less easily when bending, a big plus for those who play da blooz. ;)

FWIW, locking tuners do very little for tuning stability over properly wound regulars. Love 'em for the convenience factor, though :thu:

• Members
USACG is very reasonable for what they do, which is a lot of hand-finish work on top of the cookie-cutter machine. I prefer them over Warmoth, for example, because of the extra attention that goes into their necks. What you get from USACG is, essentially, a superior neck that is ready to bolt up sans nut.

They don't have exotic/ unusual necks listed, but will give you a quote within a day or two, usually.

re: multi-radius,

The thing about a multi-radius neck is that it feels completely natural to play. the lower frets chord easier and the uppers are easier to play single-note runs on. They also fret out less easily when bending, a big plus for those who play da blooz.
;)

FWIW, locking tuners do very little for tuning stability over properly wound regulars. Love 'em for the convenience factor, though
:thu:

My issue with compound radius is that I play quite a bit of jazz along with blues, and while having more bending room is nice, the flatter fingerboard further up the neck makes it a bit more difficult to bar complex chords in higher registers. I've had both and my favorite neck/fingerboard to date has been in my early 90's ASAT.

I love having locking/clipping tuners for convenience factor, and have just had problems with even properly wound regular ones. Just a personal preference.

• Members

along with blues, and while having more bending room is nice, the flatter fingerboard further up the neck makes it a bit more difficult to bar complex chords in higher registers. I've had both and my favorite neck/fingerboard to date has been in my early 90's ASAT.

I love having locking/clipping tuners for convenience factor, and have just had problems with even properly wound regular ones. Just a personal preference.

My favorite jazz guitar is a 10" straight radius PRS. I'm with you on that one :)

On the issue of tuners, are you sure your nut slots are properly sized and lubricated? All the locking tuners in the world won't help with a nut issue.

If you want a good neck tele PU for jazz, this one is outstanding: http://www.fralinpickups.com/telestyle_sp.asp#spN

Archived