Squier Vintage Modified vs MIM Standard

Gravity

• Members

I saw a beautiful VM the other day in a local store. It was the white one with the tortoise PG. I pulled it off the rack, saw that it was made in India (didn't know there was production there) and gave it a once over. The ax was very good looking and I was really surprised by the neck. The neck's finish was very well and evenly applied and the fretboard had a nice healthy dark hue to it. The frets felt good, the radius felt good, and the guitar resonated damn well. I guess that's what the cedar does that they use.

So I played that for a bit and then complared it to a MIM standard.

There was no comparison, the VM was head and shoulders above the MIM.

If I didn't already have a strat I'd be all over this guitar for $299. If this is a good example of what's coming out of India right now, then I'd suggest that buyers jump on it before either prices go up or quality slips.

• Members

I saw a beautiful VM the other day in a local store. It was the white one with the tortoise PG. I pulled it off the rack, saw that it was made in India (didn't know there was production there) and gave it a once over. The ax was very good looking and I was really surprised by the neck. The neck's finish was very well and evenly applied and the fretboard had a nice healthy dark hue to it. The frets felt good, the radius felt good, and the guitar resonated damn well. I guess that's what the cedar does that they use.

So I played that for a bit and then complared it to a MIM standard.

There was no comparison, the VM was head and shoulders above the MIM.

If I didn't already have a strat I'd be all over this guitar for $299. If this is a good example of what's coming out of India right now, then I'd suggest that buyers jump on it before either prices go up or quality slips.

Seems like you came across a nice guitar.

• Members

I have both, only teles, not strats - a Squier Vintage Modified tele (3 pup model) and I have an MIM standard tele, I'm just as happy with one as I am the other. If I were somehow forced to choose between the two, I would choose the Squier only because it has the three pups and gives me more variety of sound.

• Members

These new VM models are nice. Only issue I have is my local dealer has them marked up significantly more, so they are only $25-50 less than a MIM standard. Get a good standard, i would probably go that route. Not sure whether I like the gloss necks on these new VM models or not. But if they didn't say Squier on them, it would be tough to say these are models below the MIM line.

• Members

I played the Thinline and was VERY impressed with it. I also played a HWY-1-06 next to it and the Squier sounded better with Duncan Designd pick-ups. I was VERY surprized by the guitar. They are $279. new but there were not any issues on the neck/guitar, The frets were well done with no edge issues. Nice Tele.

• Members

The VM's are good guitars (I like the gloss neck), and I played one very nice example of the 3 pup Tele. But I played a bunch of the other VM Teles and Strats and they definitely weren't up to the quality of the average MIM Std I pulled off the wall to compare. I'd spend the little extra for the MIM, jmo.

Archived