Your Favorite Power Trios...

Armchair Bronco

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For all practical and sonic purposes, a 3-instrument guitar-bass-drums band with a stand-up singer IS a power trio. Such a band sounds like a power trio, faces all the same problems in terms of live arrangements and studio production and requires the same strategies to make their music work. (Any harmonica and/or percussion stuff contributed by the singer tends to be minimal.) In this respect, bands like Led Zep, Van Halen, The Who (pre-addition of extra touring players), U2, The Smiths, Sex Pistols, RATM, Free, Gang Of Four, the pre-piano version of the original Jeff Beck Group and not a few others all qualify by association, and because they've all contributed to the development of the aesthetic of guitar-bass-drums arrangement, production and performance.

And any band with that instrumental line-up can learn something from the way those guys have constructed their music.

I'd agree with that, but only in the studio.

They don't really face exactly the same problems in terms of the live arrangements. Very very few guitarists can both play their guitars and sing to the best of their at both, simultaneously. For most, if they are singing, the quality of their guitar playing drops. I know some excellent guitar players who absolutely cannot sing and play guitar at the same time. The vast majority of us have to concentrate on one or the other.

The power trio + singer arrangement faces no such issues live. The guitar players can be playing to the best of their ability at the same time as the singer is singing to the best of their abilities. This opens up all sorts of possibilities on stage that really aren't open to the simple power trio.

• Members

I know some excellent guitar players who absolutely cannot sing and play guitar at the same time. The vast majority of us have to concentrate on one or the other.

The power trio + singer arrangement faces no such issues live. The guitar players can be playing to the best of their ability at the same time as the singer is singing to the best of their abilities. This opens up all sorts of possibilities on stage that really aren't open to the simple power trio.

Fair point ... reminds of an old Sting quote, where he said that he didn't think he was either the best singer in the world or the best bass player, but that he was one of the best at doing both at once. (Other contenders: Lynott, Lemmy, Macca).

Re power trios proper: I remember from my punk days that, on the right night, The Jam -- fronted by the young, stroppy Paul Weller, as opposed to the middle-aged stroppy Paul Weller -- could be pretty damned impressive. (The Damned, of course, belonged in the 3+1 category.)

And, more recently, Supergrass did pretty well before they added the piano player.

• Members

big rush fan here, one of my favorite rock bands of all time

can't go wrong with the police

nirvana was ok, couldn't stand the bass player though

chevelle is decent

used to listen to triumph when I was younger but now it makes me cringe - rik emmett is still one of my favorites though, very talented guitar player/singer

• Members

For all practical and sonic purposes, a 3-instrument guitar-bass-drums band with a stand-up singer IS a power trio. Such a band sounds like a power trio, faces all the same problems in terms of live arrangements and studio production and requires the same strategies to make their music work. (Any harmonica and/or percussion stuff contributed by the singer tends to be minimal.) In this respect, bands like Led Zep, Van Halen, The Who (pre-addition of extra touring players), U2, The Smiths, Sex Pistols, RATM, Free, Gang Of Four, the pre-piano version of the original Jeff Beck Group and not a few others all qualify by association, and because they've all contributed to the development of the aesthetic of guitar-bass-drums arrangement, production and performance.

And any band with that instrumental line-up can learn something from the way those guys have constructed their music.

trio = three people on stage

quartet = four people on stage

ZZ Top

Cream

Rush (although Geddy might count for 1.5)

Jimi

that's it. period. go home. thread over.

Archived