05/06 Editorial: Stream an MP3, Go to Jail?!?

• Members

I think all of this is just slight-of-hand to hide the elephant in the room, which is that artists no longer need the record companies to distribute their music. Instead of trying to add value to the equation, the record companies engage boatloads of lawyers to "protect the rights of musicians and artists", when we all know they're only protecting their distribution monopolies.

Beating up on tab site operators is a good example. Is it really in an artist's best interest to kill internet tabs? Why not let the artist decide that for themselves?

Artists need some recording equipment, a good producer (worth their weight in gold) and a distribution method. Unless they need a way to distribute payola for air play, the only other thing an artist need is a good web site, where their fans and "customers" can listen and purchase their music, t-shirts, etc. A place where their fans can interact through blogs and forae and where artists can post their tour schedules.

I used to think of record companies as just one step above organized crime. I now think much more of mobsters than that.

Just my opinion.

• Members

I liked the bit about one industry telling another what it can and can not produce.

what happened to all that

"the free market will regulate itself and the government should not get involved"?

I don't make copies of any thing that's not mine and or distribute it . as a matter of principle. do unto others and that sort of thing.

the question comes to my mind where was the law to protect the artist /composer/performer when Tom Petty had his problems wuth the industry?

an artist being treated as property is OK it would seem if that is whats necessary to insure the industries profits.

it's a matter of enforcement or the lack of enforcement , and a lack of continuity regard how the laws are interpreted.

if this were the only issue facing artists and consumers presented by the music industry. with all this protectionism going on please allow me to add a link that would help illustrate who gets protected from criminal activity .

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Besides, I'm PAYING to listen to XM, and they're PAYING royalties.

Yesterday this very issue went to court. The RIAA sued XM claiming that its Inno receiver that lets you record up to 50 hours of music from the XM stream qualifies as a "new digital download subscription service" not covered by existing agreements.

The RIAA is arguing for parity in artist compensation as technologies converge.

XM is arguing for expanding consumer choice.

Part of XM's argument also includes expanding their own profits if they are able to avoid paying the type of royalties that traditional download services must currently pay.

How bout that, by the way, that we've gotten to the point that established download services can now be characterized as "traditional."

-plb

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

How bout that, by the way, that we've gotten to the point that established download services can now be characterized as "traditional."

-plb

That's the great ting abt these years -- as we grow old and senile, we will be able to talk abt "back in ought six"

• Members

>

Actually, I'm with you on this one. The XM receiver is ALREADY a portable unit. If you really want to save something, you can take an audio out from the headphones.

I admit that I have recorded a couple of the Oslo Nights DJ sets, transferred them to my hard drive, edited, and loaded into my Zen. Given that there's no way I can buy those DJ mixes anywhere, I don't feel guilty. But the quality is lacking. If I could instead buy a hi-fi MP3 or WMA version for $9.99 or whatever, I would.

• Members

>

One of the problems with this whole subject is that people take very polarized sides. But it's not black and white. MP3s have caused some CDs to be bought that would not have been bought otherwise, and also prevented some sales. So the real question is do downloads to more harm or more good, and the jury's still out on that. My gut feeling is that downloads have helped independents to a greater degree than the majors.

• Members

One of the problems with this whole subject is that people take very polarized sides. But it's not black and white. MP3s have caused some CDs to be bought

Not only on that issue, but black and white on the purpose of phonorecording copyright control to be driving sales of "records" or promoting the popularity of a particular performer or even the monetary (as opposed to the artistic control) aspect

Archived