Anybody tried a preloaded pickguard from GFS?

Mind Riot

• Members

Specifically, the HSS one. I'm thinking of picking one up for a project of mine, and I'm wondering what the pickups are like. I know they're not actual GFS pickups, so I thought I'd see if anyone has tried one of these things and what they thought.

This is the one I'm thinking of: http://store.guitarfetish.com/hueqhssprasp.html

I was planning on replacing the neck pickup with a lipstick, but I was going to leave the middle single coil stock (at least for now) and I'm wondering what the humbucker in the bridge is like.

Any thoughts or experiences?

• Members

I have the very same pickguard (except black/white/black) in my Charvel CX390. The pickups are ceramic, and are voiced for rock. The humbucker is pretty high output, bright, and harmonics and squeals are very easy to accomplish. The single coils are fairly bland-- they don't have a ton of chime or quack-- but they're decent. I am VERY satisfied with the humbucker, and have no intention of changing it.

• Members

I got a lower end S S S, pre-wired pick guard from GuitarFetish a couple of years ago for my MIM strat. But I then replaced the neck with a Seymour Duncan Rail, and the bridge with a Dimarzio rail when I installed it. I know that isn't much help, but I can say that the switch and controls work fine and feel smooth.

• Members

I have the very same pickguard (except black/white/black) in my Charvel CX390. The pickups are ceramic, and are voiced for rock. The humbucker is pretty high output, bright, and harmonics and squeals are very easy to accomplish. The single coils are fairly bland-- they don't have a ton of chime or quack-- but they're decent. I am VERY satisfied with the humbucker, and have no intention of changing it.

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was wondering. I think I may try out the bucker and see how I like it before I buy something else, and if it's cool I'll just leave it.

I was already going to replace the neck pickup with a lipstick just to have that sound, maybe I'll pick up another GFS strat pickup to put in the middle.

Thanks again!

• Members

For what it's worth- We just redesigned all of the pre-wired guards- So much so that we now brand the humbuckers in the HSS and HH configs as "GFS" pickups- True all still ceramic- which you would expect for the price- But I thin you really can't go wrong with these- especially for the price- Those of you who have bought one recently from us perhaps you can compare them to the other versions on the market- I think we come out on top on this one.

And for you bargain hunters- I have a TON of scratch and dent models going up in the clearance section next week- I sold one to Fret99- and the rest go up first come, first served for very, very cheap.

Jay

• Members

For what it's worth- We just redesigned all of the pre-wired guards- So much so that we now brand the humbuckers in the HSS and HH configs as "GFS" pickups- True all still ceramic- which you would expect for the price- But I thin you really can't go wrong with these- especially for the price- Those of you who have bought one recently from us perhaps you can compare them to the other versions on the market- I think we come out on top on this one.

And for you bargain hunters- I have a TON of scratch and dent models going up in the clearance section next week- I sold one to Fret99- and the rest go up first come, first served for very, very cheap.

Jay

Yes, I noted in the description that the bucker was GFS branded. Is there a particular model of GFS pickup you would compare it to, sound wise?

I'll most likely be ordering my stuff on Monday or so. I've got the neck (just refinished it today), and I've got a body on the way, so the pickups and such are the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for popping in on this thread, Jay. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from you and I've always been satisfied. :)

• Members

For what it's worth- We just redesigned all of the pre-wired guards- So much so that we now brand the humbuckers in the HSS and HH configs as "GFS" pickups-

I ordered and received one of the Pearloid HSS pickguards after the restock - are these the new versions that you were referring to?

Jay

Absolutely can't go wrong for the price which isn't much more than some plain pickguards. They're ceramic pups so if you want boutique tone, look into Jay's pups which are still mad inexpensive compared to everyone else while still being excellent quality.

I have been looking for a bargain priced shoebox with a kitchen magnet wired to a car stereo volume knob... sooo.... keep an eye out guys!

And the new and improved strat with a clip

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=510737&songID=5743220

sledghammer02.jpg

Archived