How Often do frets need to be polished?

peckhart

• Members

I have had my PRS Swamp Ash with maple neck and fretboard for years and it has always stayed smooth.

Got a McCarty a few months back and the frets seemed to have a bit more friction to them. I had it set up back in July and it was a lot better, but now it seems like that friction is back. Not sure I am explaining it well...you can really feel it when doing a vibrato on a note. You can actually hear it too when playing unplugged.

So I am wondering if it is normal to have to frequently polish frets? And why would the Swamp Ash be different than the McCarty?

• Moderators

I have had my PRS Swamp Ash with maple neck and fretboard for years and it has always stayed smooth.

Got a McCarty a few months back and the frets seemed to have a bit more friction to them. I had it set up back in July and it was a lot better, but now it seems like that friction is back. Not sure I am explaining it well...you can really feel it when doing a vibrato on a note. You can actually hear it too when playing unplugged.

So I am wondering if it is normal to have to frequently polish frets? And why would the Swamp Ash be different than the McCarty?

Sounds like a softer fret material, do you use the same strings on both?

• Members

I lightly polish my frets with a rag every time I have all the strings off, just to get the dirt, corrosion and grime off. Every so often, maybe once a year, I break out the steel wool, or fine sandpaper to actually polish the metal. I make sure to do the length of the fret board evenly so I don't "unlevel" my frets.

The difference may be in material or fret profile. Does one guitar have a flatter top on the frets than the other?

• Members

I do use the same strings on both.

They might be different shapes, but I am not at home to check. I am thinking the Swamp Ash has more of a squared off top to the frets, but I could be mistaken.

I have been reading different posts on the many ways to polish them. Seems easy enough...I am just concerned with how often I should really need to do this. On average I would say I put about 10hrs a week on the McCarty.

• Members

I use OOOO steel wool on them. First of all even when a guitar is Brand New I polish them. Most electrics I've come across striaght from the shop have filthy frets on them and could use it. Of higher end Custom Shop electrics will already be done. But Gibson USA and Fender Production line? Need a Polish.

But how often really depends on how often the guitar is used, and how it is stored. But I could tell you this. I only have two electric's I've done more than once. Both are my Strats and I play them daily.

But I don't think there's a set time frame. After you polish the frets the first time. You'll get an idea of how they are suppose to look. From that point keep an eye on them, and check them out when changing strings.

As mentioned above it will help going over the frets with a sof cloth at string change's. But honestly....I'm lazy and don't do that. But when I feel a fret start to pull on my fingers when I'm playing. Or start to fight you so to speak. then I know its time to clean then up. The cleaner they are the less resistance there will be. So on the flip.....the dirtier they are the more resistance there will be. Hope it helps.

I've heard about the Dremel polishing. I'll have to give it a shot. I been going with the Blue masking tape and the 0000 Steel Wool as I mentioned. So I been doing it all by hand

• Members

I've heard about the Dremel polishing. I'll have to give it a shot. I been going with the Blue masking tape and the 0000 Steel Wool as I mentioned. So I been doing it all by hand

Dremel polishing is great and ALOT less messy though I do have a good time dressing up my guitars with blue tape.

Archived