Do Jay Tursers use playwood bodies?

G33Z3R

• Members

I've noticed Jay Turser doesn't list what wood their JT-300 (Strat) bodies are made of -- they're just described as "solid bodies" with maple necks.

"Solid body" can mean anything.

As they're made in China, and cost so little, are they plywood? Has anyone ever opened one up to see?

Someone here posted clips of a bit played with 5 Tele-type guitars, including a Jay-Turser. It sounded fine, but I'm wondering what's really inside these guitars.

• Members

Jay Turser's are priced for the beginner. They are made with that customer target in mind. I how ever would still buy some thing better in the 'used' category.

I feel that as we all get older, get better jobs, aquire more money and more disposable cash, we all just naturally step up to the name brands as we get older and better at playing the guitar.

When we're young and not so rich, we make do with what we've got.

If it sounds half decent, 'playwood' will do! It's just not worth it to mod the hell out of a $200 or less brand new guitar. IMO.

What's a Jay Turser made out of? Why would you want to know? It'll never be collectible even if EVH owned it. I doubt his Teisco Del Ray (if he still has it) is worth anything except maybe at an auction for charity. I still doubt it.

Will the Jay Turser, rot and stink after a while? No, but it might start to fall apart if you don't take care of it.

I think of them as a hand-me-down type of thing. Not for re-sale but for your little bro, cousin or friend.

When you reach your late teens and after, your associates will probably all be into 'one-upmanship' and the whole bragging rights kind of thing. The fortunate thing these days is, that type of guitar can still be found used for around $1,000. It might sound like a lot at this time but it really isn't. It's still cheaper than a car, insurance and maintenance.

• Members

Yeah, I did mean plywood; sorry for the typo, but I couldn't correct it if I wanted to.

I certainly can afford a MIM Tele. However, after hearing those sample tracks this afternoon, I started to think the same sound could be had from even cheaper guitars.

But maybe it really can't? That's just it -- I honestly do not know.

• Members

Yeah, I got Tele GAS and really liked the look of Turser's Deluxe - I had a JT-285 I've since sold here on the Forum so I knew of their build quality and had no fears of buying another.

I thought enough of them based on the reviews on HC and here on the forum to give it a shot - I figured I'd make a low offer on a new one I saw on EBay - its from MusicLandCentral through their EBay store - they accepted my offer so I got my JTLT Deluxe lefty for $175 shipped - dunno how good a price that is but it was $45 less than what they were asking as their sale price.

Hope she plays as good as she looks - I'll post an NGD when she shows up!! :thu:

JTLTDLXLEFTYANS.JPG

Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270155414734

• Members

I have number of nice guitars from Gibson, Fender, etc. but I wanted a less expensive "beater" guitar for certain occasions. I found a used Jay Turser Les Paul goldtop copy on Craigs List which I bought for $80. I was surprised and impressed by the quality of this guitar for the money. I swapped in a few parts I had laying around like Gibson 500T and Duncan Jazz humbuckers and Sperzel locking tuners, and it's now become one of my favorite guitars. It sounds and plays really great and it's very light weight. Tursers are definitely worth looking into - whatever kind of wood they are made of.

• Members

i had a squier affinity strat torino red that was my first electric guitar. It would of been like say 96 or so. It had a nice maple fb and a super nice neck. The pups a little generic and the tuners were no grovers but they worked. when i pulled the pickguard off it was totally plywood. Stuck a set of texas specials before the truss rod broke and it sounded just like a srv. wood matters but not much when it comes to eletrics. Acoustics are different beasts. to answer your question I don't know but it really wouldn't matter. I will do al little research though if you want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I just received a Walnut-finished Jay Turser SG from MusicLandCentral. I wanted an affordable left-handed SG for my kid, and they had a pretty SG Custom for $250. Then, I thought it would be cool if we BOTH had SG's, so I ordered a plain one for another $200.

The plain walnut one arrived today. It was double-boxed, which is good, because in my neck of the woods, Fed Ex likes to break guitars when they can.

I think the horror stories I've read in a few Harmony Central reviews may have been fiction. For $200, it's a damn nice guitar. It's not as nice as an Epiphone SG, but then it costs less than half as much.

Hopefully, the Custom will be here tomorrow.

• Members

Well, I just received a Walnut-finished Jay Turser SG from MusicLandCentral. I wanted an affordable left-handed SG for my kid, and they had a pretty SG Custom for $250. Then, I thought it would be cool if we BOTH had SG's, so I ordered a plain one for another $200.

The plain walnut one arrived today. It was double-boxed, which is good, because in my neck of the woods, Fed Ex likes to break guitars when they can.

I think the horror stories I've read in a few Harmony Central reviews may have been fiction. For $200, it's a damn nice guitar. It's not as nice as an Epiphone SG, but then it costs less than half as much.

Hopefully, the Custom will be here tomorrow.

I wish I knew you were in the market - see my sig. Oh well -enjoy it.

• Members

Got the lefty SG Custom. Like the plain SG with a walnut finish, this was double-boxed, so it arrived safely. I think my boy is going to love it.

I'm surprised by how light the guitar is. But it looks nice and sounds just fine. After seeing this second Jay Turser, I'm not putting much stock in those horror stories some guys wrote in their Harmony Central reviews. Maybe Jay Turser has a few dogs (bolt-on Flying V's?), but these SG-styled guitars are really, really nice for the money.

SG's are really comfortable sit-down guitars. Anyone else notice that?

I'd buy a couple more right now, but I think my wife would castrate me in my sleep. Might have to wait for Christmas....

• Members

.... After seeing this second Jay Turser, I'm not putting much stock in those horror stories some guys wrote in their Harmony Central reviews. Maybe Jay Turser has a few dogs (bolt-on Flying V's?)....

You bought from Dennis/ Musiclandcentral; regarded as THE place to buy a Turser because they actually take the time to inspect the instruments prior to shipping. But, there were (or perhaps still are) several not so honest sellers passing off B-stock Tursers as new, resulting (in my opinion) in many of the bad reviews they get.

I bought 2 Tursers through Dennis and aside from a finish scuff on my JT50-Deluxe (tele), both have been excellent. I also picked up a Turser Warlord (flying V) from another dealer and found both a run in the finish and a fret that's a tad high. With a little TLC, though, it's become a great player as well.

I've had SEVERAL Tursers come across my workbench. All were light-years ahead of what some of us learned to play on 20+ years ago.

To the OP, they're definately not plywood. I took apart a lefty JT50-Deluxe just last week and counted three seperate pieces of wood (no biggie, even my Fender is three pieces, though much higher quality wood) and the 'flame' top was just a photo... it was wrapped into the bridge pickup cavity. :D

• Members

Can anyone tell me why every pic of a Turser is at some ridiculously bad angle? I always find myself twisting my neck around to get something approaching a straight on look at the guitar.

It's always given me the sense that they must be hiding something by avoiding that simple direct front shot.

Archived