SX skunk stripe

angus_old

• Members

Originally posted by Sheik Yerbouti

My skunk stripe sure isn't painted on, the grain on the stripe looks noting like the maple neck.

Mine had perfect frets (needed a tad bit of polishing, though). Maybe the quality is increasing with the higher demand?

WTF??? I thought mine was real --- 'till I took a closer look. The "rounded end" of the skunk stripe closest to the headstock is a little fuppped duck:

skunk1.jpg

All SJM owners do a recheck and report back

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by animl

WTF??? I thought mine was real --- 'till I took a closer look. The "rounded end" of the skunk stripe closest to the headstock is a little fuppped duck:

skunk1.jpg

All SJM owners do a recheck and report back

Mine is a mirror image of yours.

• Members

could it be they used a decal under the poly? say it aint so...

I just checked my tele (2003) sure looks real to me. The only way to tell is to check the other end in the neck pocket. Also if your neck is one hunk of maple then the stripe must be real. My maple board was glued on.

• Members

i am getting a sx ash model i think, since they dont have the fat strat listed on the site anymore.. i hope is a hit instead of a miss quality wise. and i hope the stripe isnt painted on. hope i dont regrett this. i havent played a sx before but for a cheapo they like good. guess i shall see.

• Members

Originally posted by cfgsteak

Mine is a mirror image of yours.

So they put one of our decals on backwards. Did Gibson take over QC? :rolleyes:

BTW, for $139 I can live with a fake skunker. My neck & fretboard are flawless

• Members

I had a SSt57 and the stripe was real.

I think SX's are great in terms of bang for your buck.

From viewing this forum I've noticed alot of people enjoy playing them as they seem to 'fight' you, which is really true for me.

I mean I have an Edwards LP which is perfect and plays effortlessly, but i loved playing the SX even more.

I suppose its like the nice, normal girl at home, and the SX is the nasty, wild girl at clubs you meet. Cheap but doable :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Untitled

From viewing this forum I've noticed alot of people enjoy playing them as they seem to 'fight' you, which is really true for me.

I mean I have an Edwards LP which is perfect and plays effortlessly, but i loved playing the SX even more.

I suppose its like the nice, normal girl at home, and the SX is the nasty, wild girl at clubs you meet. Cheap but doable
:thu:

What if you have a wild girl at home and you meet nice girls at clubs?

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

could it be they used a decal under the poly? say it aint so...

I just checked my tele (2003) sure looks real to me. The only way to tell is to check the other end in the neck pocket. Also if your neck is one hunk of maple then the stripe must be real. My maple board was glued on.

If I think about it tonight when I get home, I will take pics of the neck that is unattached to a body and post.

The top of the skunk strip sure doesn't look right on mine. I think it is a smeared decal under the laquer.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

I'll try to get some pics of mine too. In some places the grain looks like it goes right through, in others it doesn't.

I think it is a trunslucent decal or stain. But prolly a decal because the straight lines are perfectly straight and crisp. It only gets f'ed up at the rounded end

• Members

Originally posted by animl

I think it is a trunslucent decal or stain. But prolly a decal because the straight lines are perfectly straight and crisp. It only gets f'ed up at the rounded end

One neck that I have is messed up at the top of the strip and one isn't.

I think it is a decal.

I guess in the name of science I could start sanding one down. It is not like I am planning on using the necks.

• Members

Originally posted by chevette

What's the difference between having a stripe and not having one, does it actually make a difference in the playability? That's an honest question, cuz if it does, I wouldn't know.

none really, it's just a cosmetic thing

• Members

Originally posted by cfgsteak

either way, decal or real, this is a complete non-issue for me.

+1. To reiterate my post from yesterday ... "for $139 I can live with a fake skunker. My neck & fretboard are flawless"

Originally posted by Untitled

I suppose its like the nice, normal girl at home, and the SX is the nasty, wild girl at clubs you meet. Cheap but doable
:thu:

+1000 (but don't tell my wife.... :D ):thu:

Archived